3003Re: Well, admittedly the name Amos Tversky didn't ring a bell, so I ...

    Jan 6, 2004
      --- In APBR_analysis@yahoogroups.com, Stephen Greenwell
      <sgre6768@p...> wrote:
      > > They found statistical evidence of a cold streak?

      > There's a preponderence of evidence that the other end of the
      spectrum is attainable.

      Unless I'm missing something, a streak is a streak. Either you do
      or don't accept that human beings have more variability than tossed
      coins and dice.

      Accepting the validity of a cold streak implies that there is such
      variability. And since "cold" has to be relative to some average,
      it implies other "hotter-than-average" periods.

      >.., Clifford Robinson has been shown to be a vastly inferior player
      in the postseason as opposed to the regular season. The same goes
      for Damon Stoudamire; the proof is in Hollinger's Pro Basketball
      Prospectus.

      Stoudamire actually beat the rap (though briefly) last season; while
      Cliff is still Cliff.

      Meanwhile, Reggie Miller and Robert Horry both stunk in last year's
      postseason, thus losing their "perennial overachiever" status.

      You can "prove" the past, but not the future.
    • Show all 27 messages in this topic