2803Re: [APBR_analysis] Re: Kirilenko

  • igor eduardo küpfer
    Dec 8, 2003
      ----- Original Message -----
      From: "Mike G" <msg_53@...>
      To: <APBR_analysis@yahoogroups.com>
      Sent: Monday, December 08, 2003 11:30 AM
      Subject: [APBR_analysis] Re: Kirilenko

      > In this Age of Acronyms, we occasionally find these acronyms built
      > from things other than single words: phrases, other acronyms.
      >
      > It's virtually impossible to guess what they stand for.
      >

      > --- In APBR_analysis@yahoogroups.com, "Dean Oliver" <deano@r...>
      > wrote:
      > > --- In APBR_analysis@yahoogroups.com, "Mike G" <msg_53@h...> wrote:
      > > > Am I the only one who doesn't know what "OPS" is ?
      > >
      > > On base percentage plus slugging percentage.
      > >

      > If you added (R+RBI)/PA to this OPS, you'd have a useful number.

      OPS actually works incredibly well, given its simplicity. Runs and RBIs are
      generally disregarded by sabremetricians because they are team, not player,
      stats, and as such, too context dependent to be much use.

      A full exploration of the philosophical implications of OPS is given in
      "Moneyball," which I urge everyone on this list to read. It is balm for the
      stathead soul.

      ed
    • Show all 12 messages in this topic