2639Re: [APBR_analysis] Vin, Rants, and Roland

  • bchaikin@aol.com
    Nov 5, 2003

      I would go so far to add that in basketball it is simply not possible to play "Moneyball"; that these numbers can be useful for fan illumination, but ultimately I'm not sure that they'll have a big impact on how the game itself is played........It just seems to me that basketball involves such a complex, tangled skein of player attributes and talents that you can't simply make a statement like "Allen Iverson should shoot less" or "the Celtics should trade Antoine Walker" without talking about things in an at least partially non-statistical manner.

      aahh... the naysayers exist in every venue :) .... seems to me i've heard this before, say before the revelations of people like bill james (or galileo for that fact)...isn't that what this group is for, to discuss and possibly collectively come up with the better basketball mousetrap?.... guess we'll just have to try to prove you wrong....

      and Roland's efforts will go a long way towards helping that attempt...

      There's still a lot of interesting stuff coming out - like the firestorm that erupted 3 years ago around the notion that pitchers don't affect their team's performance except in terms of striking players out and not giving up homeruns and walks.

      and the person who - i'm not sure if he actually came up with the idea, but who certainly popularized it - did this, voros mccracken, now works for the boston red sox, no?...

      Overall, though, I would tend to agree that there isn't any "killer ap" waiting on the horizon..

      not for basketball? we'll just have to do something about that...

      fyi - "Moneyball" is turning heads not just in the baseball world but the world of almost all professionals sports in the old US of A, to a greater extent than you may be aware of...

      bob chaikin
      bchaikin@...

    • Show all 11 messages in this topic