242Re: Similarity Scores

  • msg_53@hotmail.com
    Sep 16, 2001
      Personally, I don't ever consider 'position' to be a quantifiable
      statistic. Many forwards have been forced to play center; many
      forwards are not clearly 'power' or 'small' forwards; many players
      are not exclusively guards or forwards; many versatile guards do
      plenty of scoring and passing, and rebounding.
      The possible fragmenting of these lists is virtually infinite. An
      assist from a center is exactly as important as an assist from a
      guard. A rebounding guard, a center who gets steals as well as
      blocks, all these things make a player unique, or at least
      differentiate him from the norm.
      The issue of 3-point shooting might be worth looking into. How one
      goes about racking up one's scoring totals is of some interest. Then
      again, it might invite breaking down points into dunks, layups, etc.
      In the end, points are points. A player's scoring may come from
      inside moves when he is young, and from outside shots later. The
      contribution is still the same.
      One thing these similarity indexes do reveal, is that there are
      some 'classic' profiles by position. Wilt, Kareem, Hakeem, Shaq,
      Robinson, Ewing, Moses, Gilmore, all averaged 22-28 pts, 12-15 reb, 2-
      3 blocks. But the well-rounded centers seem to have enjoyed more
      success.
      The demands of one's position are somewhat situational. The best
      players can usually do whatever is most needed.

      --- In APBR_analysis@y..., harlanzo@y... wrote:
      > It occurred to me that when comparing players through their
      > statistics should we be weighting the comparisons so that some
      > statistics are more important based on positions? For example,
      when
      > comparing point guards the assist category might be more important
      > for weighing similarity than rebound category. Conversely, do we
      > really care whether two centers have similar assist numbers if
      their
      > points, rebounds, and fg % are similar? I think this sounds
      somewhat
      > right with some notable exceptions. The counter argument of course
      > is that centers who pass well (a la Walton) or shoot 3s well
      > (Laimbeer and Sikma) are unique and the similarity scores will help
      > identify players with similar rare skill sets. (To digress, I
      wonder
      > if Jason Kidd and some of the Darrell Walker early 90s seasons are
      > comparable). I am beginning to babble but I think that the
      question
      > I am asking is whether positional demands should change how we
      weight
      > statistical categories when we try to apply similarity scores?

    • Show all 16 messages in this topic