2419Re: progression or regression

  • harlanzo
    Aug 27, 2003
      --- In APBR_analysis@yahoogroups.com, "schtevie2003" <schtevie@h...>
      wrote:

      the infusion of foreigners into the NBA should
      > be viewed as a net improvement in the average talent of the
      > league, not a mere substitution on the scrub margin.
      >
      > And this in turn has implications on interpreting NBA trends.
      > Low offensive productivity, bad offense or good defense? The
      > former interpretation is increasingly difficult to support.
      >
      > Thoughts?

      I would think the addition of euros is a net improvement but two
      other factors to consider:

      1) have we maxed out the number of useful euros in the nba or are
      there a bunch of decent euros who could come him here and play near
      average thus raising the talent pool?

      2) does international competition overstate how good some of these
      guys are? the 3 point line is much closer than the nba, the lane
      shorter, the game shorter, its possible that a lot of guys who have
      looked good in these games are barely adequate if not worse in the
      nba (for recent examples see ruben wolkwyski, shane heal, Mirsad
      Truckan, Carlos Arroyo)

      I tend to think more euros could come over here in do well if the
      teams were willing to invest the time. The interesting question is
      if/when the nba goes into europe, how much expansion could there be
      without diluting the talent pool?
    • Show all 3 messages in this topic