230Re: Similarity Scores

    Sep 10, 2001
      --- In APBR_analysis@y..., harlanzo@y... wrote:
      This being the case a study might still be
      > interesting. I would suggest that because of how the game has
      > changed that any model should really be limited to a specific era
      (ie
      > since 90-91 season).

      I think we should start here, but not limit it this way.

      Your example of Houston and Blackman is interesting. I think players
      like Blackman did evolve into players like Houston, but their styles
      were/are different. There weren't many Houston-types in the '80's.
      We want to show that. In some cases, we may want to hide that, but
      we don't want to hide it all the time. It points out the problem we
      always have -- that players from the '60's are more similar to
      themselves than they are to today's players. As much as we might
      like to compare Bob Pettit to Karl Malone, I'm sure more players in
      the '50's-'60's are similar to Pettit than Malone is.

      I would call the similarity (on a per game basis) between Houston and
      Blackman about an 800, just gut feel. Career-wise, Houston has a
      ways to go to get to Blackman's level. Even at age 30, it appears
      that Blackman had a bit better numbers.

      Here is the list of comparisons done for the newsletter with the
      original scores assigned and some of my subjective scores:

      Orig MyEst Players
      990 850 Isiah Thomas & Tim Hardaway
      986 800 Julius Erving & Elgin Baylor
      985 Mark Aguirre & Alex English
      984 850 Patrick Ewing & Alonzo Mourning
      976 Kareem Abdul-Jabbar & Bob Pettit
      976 800 David Robinson & Tim Duncan
      969 Willis Reed & Walt Bellamy
      968 850 Reggie Miller & Allan Houston
      968 Kevin Johnson & Stephon Marbury
      967 Oscar Robertson & Sam Cassell
      967 800 Bill Russell & Wes Unseld
      964 750 Karl Malone & Kareem Abdul-Jabaar
      964 Kareem Abdul-Jabbar & Bob Lanier
      963 David Robinson & Hakeem Olajuwon
      961 Isiah Thomas & Kevin Johnson
      959 Jo Jo White & Hal Greer
      958 Jerry West & Pete Maravich
      955 Walt Frazier & Penny Hardaway
      952 600 Wilt Chamberlain & Arvydas Sabonis
      951 Dominique Wilkins & John Drew
      949 Vince Carter & Kobe Bryant
      949 800 Isiah Thomas & Stephon Marbury
      943 Larry Bird & Chris Webber
      943 Kobe Bryant & Alan Iverson
      942 Rick Barry & John Havlicek
      938 Karl Malone & David Robinson
      938 Bill Laimbeer & Dikembe Mutombo
      935 Jerry West & Paul Westphal
      930 Larry Bird & Billy Cunningham
      929 Kareem Abdul-Jabbar & Charles Barkley
      929 Charles Barkley & Kareem Abdul-Jabaar
      927 Walt Frazier & Gary Payton
      927 Karl Malone and Bob Petit
      924 Vince Carter & Alan Iverson
      922 Grant Hill & Elgin Baylor
      919 Bill Russell & Bill Walton
      918 Shaquille O'Neal & David Robinson
      917 Wilt Chamberlain & Kareem Abdul-Jabaar
      914 George Gervin & David Thompson
      903 Wilt Chamberlain & David Robinson
      902 Larry Bird & Elgin Baylor
      897 750 Jason Kidd & Magic Johnson
      888 Shaquille O'Neal & Hakeem Olajuwon
      887 Michael Jordan & Alan Iverson
      885 Charles Barkley & Karl Malone
      884 Michael Jordan & Vince Carter
      882 John Stockton & Larry Brown
      875 Jerry West & Oscar Robertson
      858 850 Shaquille O'Neal & Wilt Chamberlain
      852 800 Oscar Robertson & Magic Johnson
      848 750 Michael Jordan & Kobe Bryant
      830 750 Michael Jordan & Julius Erving
      263 Shaquille O'Neal & John Stockton