2080Re: 2003 Questions

    May 11, 2003
      --- In APBR_analysis@yahoogroups.com, "aaronkoo" <deano@r...> wrote:
      > Given the common perception that Walker is awesome (I can't
      believe
      > so many Boston fans think he's better than Pierce), I realize that
      > there is quite a burden on me to show that he's not so good.

      The fact remains, that the Boston coach gives Walker 40 minutes
      every night, so he apparently doesn't consider him 'pitiful'.

      As for assigning losses to basketball players, you probably know I
      think that's a sack of doodoo, and destined for the ashcan of
      analysis evolution.

      If Walker has 'lost' 15 games for Boston this year; and lacking
      Walker 'even worse players' would have lost even more games, then it
      seems the assigning of losses cannot appropriately be done for
      individuals, but only for teams.

      In other words, individual won-loss records for basketball are at
      least as impractical a player-rating method as it is for pitchers in
      baseball.

      > Not my
      > highest priority right now. I've just never seen a case like
      Walker
      > before.

      I don't have any numbers here, but I do have my Euclidean player-
      comparison sheet. Shooting pct. is included only as a scaling
      adjustment to scoring rate.

      Per-36-minute

      sim player . . sco reb ast
      .00 Antoine Walker 20 9 4
      .32 Marques Johnson 20 8 4
      .33 George McGinnis 19 10 4
      .39 Shareef AbdurRahim 21 9 3
      .42 Brad Daugherty 20 10 4
      .45 Billy Cunningham 20 9 4
      .47 Mickey Johnson 17 9 4
      .48 Sidney Wicks 17 9 3
      .49 Bob Dandridge 19 6 3
      .50 Juwan Howard 18 8 3
      .50 Christian Laettner 17 9 3
      .52 Detlef Schrempf 17 8 4
      .52 Alvan Adams 17 9 5

      steals and blocks are included, but omitted for clarity
    • Show all 64 messages in this topic