205Re: Stats, again?

  • Mike Goodman
    Jul 26, 2001
      I have all the stats I can imagine, going back to 1952: raw
      totals, per-game averages, and my standardized stuff. Anyone and
      everyone is welcome to any or all of it, if they can get it to go
      from my hard drive to theirs. I can't seem to get it to move.
      Online, Doug Steele has complete stats going back to 1989, I
      believe. I don't think I have ever found a glaring error in his
      data. You can download a whole year of individual stats from his
      site, into Excel, where you just align the columns to convert from a
      text file to usable data.
      Unfortunately, Doug combines the stats of players traded
      midseason, so if you want to break those down, you have to go from
      team to team and re-enter them.
      I guess I don't actually have those players who only had a cup of
      coffee. I have everyone (I think) who totalled 100 NBA minutes or
      200 ABA minutes. Dates back to my 240 Meg HD and 66K processsor.
      I often find it is easier to start from scratch than to insert one
      or two columns and hand-enter something like turnovers. However, I
      did just that when I found Bob Chaikin's data to have steals and
      blocks from '74-'77, and some ABA stats. Thanks, Bob!
      Count me in as someone who will check for errors or whatever.
      Sounds like a worthwhile project. I don't see how copyrights can be
      infringed when we have hand-entered data from so many sources, and
      are now just pooling our resources.

      --- In APBR_analysis@y..., lilnemo21@h... wrote:

      > --- In APBR_analysis@y..., "Dean LaVergne" <deanlav@y...> wrote:
      > > Unless we have a central place to house the data, I don't see how
      we
      > can
      > > update individual copies and keep them in synch. Does anyone
      have a
      > > suggestion as to where it could be kept?
      > >
      > > As always, suggestions are appreciated.
      > >
      > > Dean L.
      > It could be kept here on the apbr analysis page, in files, or
      perhaps
      > on the APBR main site.
      >
      > Richard
    • Show all 8 messages in this topic