1859Re: Consistency Score

  • Dean Oliver <deano@rawbw.com>
    Feb 26, 2003
      > I think players with large means will have a bit of an advantage in
      achieving high consistency scores; the players who fairly often get 0
      points or rebounds will have such low means that their inverse coeff
      of variation will not be able to become very large, unless they have
      an incredibly low standard deviation. This is not necessarilly a bad
      thing, maybe we think that such players truly are less consistent
      than the Karl Malones of the world.

      I think this is true. The reason is that teams build their offenses
      around guys like Malone, not Olowokandi. As a consequence, Malone
      always has about the same plays to work with and the same decisions
      to make. Other guys have coaches telling them alternately to pass to
      so-and-so or shoot. They can be anywhere from the 1st to 5th option
      in an offensive set, whereas Malone is almost always 1st. There are
      other guys, like Dale Davis or Tony Battie, who aren't really an
      option, but do the dirty work consistently. I'd be curious whether
      they show up as consistent.