1684Re: Cross Generational Simulating/Comparisons

  • Dean Oliver <deano@rawbw.com>
    Jan 23, 2003
      > Over at apbr_analysis, we've discussed the cross generational
      > comparison of players and teams and I think we reached the
      conclusion
      > that such comparisons are difficult or impossible to ground-truth.
      > There were some dissenters who we may just kill off.
      >
      > now why would you want to go and do that? if everyone agreed with
      you, what
      > fun would these discussion groups be?.....
      >
      > and who is "we"? i certainly don't agree with any conclusion
      stating that
      > directly comparing players over the past 40-45 years in the NBA is
      > "...difficult or impossible...". on the contrary, i find it fairly
      easy......

      Just to make sure -- I was just kidding about killing you off, Bob.
      I fully respect all your opinions. I just wouldn't trust any cross-
      generational simulation based on some of the reasons I mentioned
      before. And I would simply ask to prove that a cross-generational
      simulation works.