1634Re: [APBR_analysis] Re: Standard deviation,Part Two

  • John W. Craven
    Jan 1, 2003
      On Wed, 1 Jan 2003, Mike G <msg_53@...> wrote:

      > --- In APBR_analysis@yahoogroups.com, "John W. Craven"
      > <john1974@u...> wrote:
      > > Year FG% STDev STD% Notes
      > > 1947 27.9 3.45 12.402

      > > 2001 44.1 4.06 9.210 47.2 4.09 8.663
      >
      > John, I don't see anything here. Yes, the standard deviation
      > approach sounds like it may have merit. But the lack of correlation
      > with expansion seasons seems not to support the theory.

      I agree. I'll re-work this with something that takes into account foul shots, and then try to look at players with more shot attempts per year than 300.

      > > 3. What's up with the 1973-4 season?
      >
      > Completely wack. I'd check my math.

      I did, and it's still damn low. Note that the two years right afterward were also two of the lowest in the study.

      > > 6. I expected the 1990s to be quite a bit less competitive than
      > the 1980s. Go figure.
      >
      > I think the league has gone downhill since the early or mid-'90s.

      That's what I expected to see show up as well. I'll see if that trend shows up when I re-do this.

      John Craven
    • Show all 5 messages in this topic