1439Re: Playoff overachievers, revisited

    Oct 25, 2002
      --- In APBR_analysis@y..., "Michael Tamada" <tamada@o...> wrote:
      > That reminds me, the player who at least early in his career Horry
      most reminds me of, in terms of playoff explosions, is Cedric
      Maxwell. ...

      Cedric's first playoffs were his great 1980 games, and his MVP was
      deserved. His next 3 were nearly as good, then a mediocre year and a
      bad year ('84 and 85). 1985 was a 21-game chunk, too.

      In total production-above-expectation, Cornbread ranks #79. Of 196
      players with 2000 playoff minutes, he ranks #52 in per-minute
      increase.

      > Reggie Miller is, or has been, an all-star in the regular season so
      his playoff exploits, while the stuff of legend, are not quite so
      astounding as Horry's.

      Reggie is plenty astounding. His per-game increase has been more
      dramatic even than Horry's, in magnitude. Though Reggie's best years
      are far behind him, his playoffs continue to be all-world.

      > Actually, although his regular season and playoff careers were too
      short to appear on these alltime lists, I would guess that Billy Ray
      Bates was the most extreme playoff exploder of them all.

      Saying Bates' career was too short almost ranks as an
      understatement. Was it even a career? Playoff mercenary is more
      like it.

      He tore up the nets in 6 total playoff games. He WAS the Blazers'
      offense, according to Halberstam. If you look at players with at
      least 200 career playoff minutes, per-36-min production-increase
      ranks like this:

      6.541 Billy Ray Bates (219 minutes)
      6.537 Connie Dierking
      6.32 Tom Burleson