1342Bob's examples

    Oct 10, 2002

      Gotta run pretty quick, but here are some of my #’s for the guys Bob calculated.  I’ve always figured that how efficiently a player performs is a function of what percentage of the team’s possessions they use (% Tm Poss below), their age (improving until age 26 or 27 usually and declining around age 30), and the quality of their teammates (Fox plays a lot better because he has Shaq taking defenders away from him).  Makes it difficult to evaluate everything.  But look for yourself:

      Hersey Hawkins (shorter 3 pt line in ’95 and ’96)

      Season

      Tm

      Sc. Poss

      Poss

      Floor %

      Off. Rtg.

      Pts Prod/G

      % Team Poss

      Age

      1989

      PHI

      79

      519

      1028

      0.51

      108

      14.0

      19%

      23

      1990

      PHI

      82

      657

      1248

      0.53

      114

      17.3

      22%

      24

      1991

      PHI

      80

      752

      1431

      0.53

      114

      20.4

      23%

      25

      1992

      PHI

      81

      651

      1248

      0.52

      113

      17.4

      21%

      26

      1993

      PHI

      81

      697

      1315

      0.53

      116

      18.8

      22%

      27

      1994

      CHA

      82

      511

      990

      0.52

      112

      13.5

      18%

      28

      1995

      CHA

      82

      480

      934

      0.51

      116

      13.2

      18%

      29

      1996

      SEA

      82

      511

      1013

      0.50

      114

      14.1

      18%

      30

      1997

      SEA

      82

      466

      883

      0.53

      121

      13.0

      17%

      31

      1998

      SEA

      82

      369

      719

      0.51

      118

      10.3

      15%

      32

      1999

      SEA

      50

      219

      456

      0.48

      109

      9.9

      15%

      33

      2000

      CHI

      61

      201

      449

      0.45

      102

      7.5

      15%

      34

      2001

      CHA

      59

      87

      161

      0.54

      120

      3.3

      13%

      35

      Became a role player in ’94 when he switched teams.  His rating didn’t improve, but he maintained the high ratings into his 30’s due to closer line and being a role player (and probably better teammates taking the pressure off in Seattle).

      Barkley

      Season

      Tm

      Sc. Poss