1279Re: [APBR_analysis] Re: Ballhogs - Dominique Wilkins

    Sep 12, 2002
      On Thu, 12 Sep 2002, Michael K. Tamada wrote:

      [...]

      > In just the right situation, and with a good coach, McAdoo could be
      > useful. He proved that with the Lakers -- note that he was only a role
      > player though. I'm sure you're correct that that was his 10th year in
      > the league -- but so what? 32 years is not old for a true superstar

      I should clarify here; Bob McAdoo without question was a true superstar
      (when put into just the right team situation). Whereas with Dominique, I
      waver over whether Dominique deserves the title.

      But McAdoo, MVP and league scoring titles nonwithstanding, was clearly not
      up to the levels of ... well pick the centers who were better than McAdoo,
      there's quite a few. Not just the traditional Big 3, and the recent Big 3
      of Shaq, Robinson, and Hakeem; but Cowens, Walton (a good match, because
      their periods of peak performance were both so brief, albeit for different
      reasons), Parish. I think most people would add Unseld and Thurmond and
      probably Gilmore as well. Personally I'd add Sikma and maybe Ewing.
      Except for Walton (for health reasons) and Cowens (for physical and mental
      burnout reasons), age 32 was not an obstacle for those truly great or
      near-great centers.

      McAdoo was a superstar and a legit MVP candidate, given just the right
      conditions. But a limited one -- because the conditions were limited, and
      even under those conditions, we're not talking about a championship team.