1269Re: [APBR_analysis] Re: Ballhogs - Dominique Wilkins

    Sep 12, 2002
      On Thu, 12 Sep 2002 bchaikin@... wrote:

      > actually kevin mchale's career %shoot and %pass numbers are very close to
      > dominique wilkin's numbers of 50 and 33 (shoot 50 times and pass 33 times per
      > 100 ball possessions)...
      >
      > the big difference was touches/min of 0.90 for mchale and 1.20 for wilkins,
      > meaning wilkins handled the ball 33% more often than mchale did...

      There's another difference, which to me is much more important for why
      Wilkins is regarded as a ballhog and McHale isn't:

      FG% PT%
      Wilkins 46% 53%
      McHale 55% 59%

      Sure, McHale may have shot the ball about as often as Wilkins, at least as
      measured by %shoot. The difference is when McHale shot, the ball was
      likely to go in! That makes all the difference between calling a player a
      ballhog vs a bonafide superstar.