1261Re: [APBR_analysis] Re: Ballhogs - Dominique Wilkins

  • bchaikin@aol.com
    Sep 12, 2002

      But the #'s are estimated from formulas, though, right?  Are you
      saying the formulas are always perfect?

      the simulation i developed would not produce statistical results that match real life numbers if the player attributes were not right on - meaning the player possession factor and their player attributes. think about it, if i don't peg pretty much exactly how often each player handles the ball on offense, and then what they do when they do get it (either shoot, pass, get fouled, or turn it over) and how often, how could the program possibly reproduce past real life numbers with so many players involved?...

      I know you estimate only 40% of Iverson's touches were shots in 2000
      playoffs.  Different year than what Stu mentioned and his was only
      Finals, but I don't imagine things would be horribly different.  9%
      is a lot of difference.

      the database shows iverson shooting 40 times per 100 ball possessions for the 22 games he played in the playoffs. i did not break it down by finals, opening round, etc...

      I've done it in the past, it's just that that online db is pretty
      hard to use -- some columns aren't readable and you can't do much
      analysis with because you can't save any of the data.

      how is the database hard to use? you can sort and limit the database in innumerable ways. what can't you read? is your resolution high?

      bob chaikin

    • Show all 21 messages in this topic