1225Re: Value of timeouts

    Aug 30, 2002
      > --- In APBR_analysis@y..., "HoopStudies" <deano@r...> wrote:
      > > --- In APBR_analysis@y..., "thedawgsareout" <kpelton08@h...>
      wrote:
      > > > ... nice to have a statistical idea of the
      > > > value of momentum timeouts. It might be difficult to pick out a
      > > > specific set of criteria to determine what timeouts are called
      > > > stop a run, but if you could isolate those and see what happens
      > > > afterward compared to when teams on the same type of runs are
      not
      > > > stopped by a timeout, that would be very valuable.
      >
      > What do we know about runs of momentum? At the professional level,
      > where panic is less frequent, and coaches get paid big bucks, there
      > will still be some random accumulations of points favoring one team
      > or the other.

      The accumulations do seem to be random, but the perception is real.
      Coaches definitely call timeouts when there seems to be a run. We're
      looking to see whether those timeouts cause the end of a run at a
      rate that is significantly different than what you'd expect from
      random chance.

      > > ...teams that call timeouts to stop a run actually had a
      > > bit better chances of stopping that run than would be
      > expected. ...> DeanO
      >
      > And, what is the value of an unused timeout? Being out of timeouts
      > gives the opposition more options. Saving timeouts is good.

      Definitely true. You don't want to not have a timeout when you need
      one.

      > The more polished team will not benefit from timeouts as much as
      the
      > disorganized team will benefit. Bob Knight was the master at
      gaining
      > the advantage in uninterrupted play. Having 4-5 seniors on the
      floor
      > helped.

      Well, this sounds like a future study.