1198Re: white American players

  • harlanzo
    Aug 22, 2002
      Mike, I think your chart really is a reflection of the expansion of
      the talent pool. White american stars are bound to decline as
      basketball became more national and then global. I've got to wonder
      if the euro stars will soon eclipse white americans in number.

      I guess the question to ask is to what factors created this decline.
      Is it a result a of merely an expanding talent pool? or are teams
      less cognizant of having white players featured or even being the
      12th man? I do remember in the early 80s Peter Vecsey made a big
      deal about the Knicks having an all-black team for the first time.
      It wasn't meant to be a racist notion but people definitely thought
      it was a noteworthy item. Now, this is not an issue. (There may
      still be towns that are cognizant of it; i do remember Milwaukee all
      white front court of the early 90s and Utah also seems to find more
      white players than most teams). But this has to be somewhat of a
      factor.

      I did a quick peak at the number of white americans all-stars over
      the years to see if they reflected your numbers. Here is the
      breakdown based on the categories white american, white european, and
      african american (i'll consider ewing, duncan, mutombo, and olajuwon
      in the african american segment for the study)(injured players are
      also included)( i stopped in the 50s where I was not sure who was
      what ethnicity but before 1957 there really weren't more than 1 or 2
      black players on the team):

      WA WE AA
      2002 2 2 20
      2001 0 1 27