117Re: Cha at Mil, 5/20

    May 28 2:12 PM
      --- In APBR_analysis@y..., <deanlav@y...> wrote:
      > I get ESPN Classic. If you'd like I'll try to score some. Do you
      have a
      > step-by-step guide as to how to do it?
      >
      > Dean L

      I have two scoring techniques, one for the offense and one for the
      defense. The offensive method is documented in a couple places

      http://www.tsoft.com/~deano/articles/aa060897.htm

      and

      http://www.tsoft.com/~deano/methdesc.html#pss

      For defense, I originally developed a similar-looking scoresheet
      technique that is documented here

      http://www.tsoft.com/~deano/articles/dscoresheet.html

      This, however, is hard to do. It is an immense amount of work and
      the analysis of the data takes and additional amount.

      Instead, I have posted a spreadsheet under the Files section here

      called defstophandchart.xls that is just a tally sheet of
      non-traditional numbers. Putting these numbers together with blocks,
      steals, and defensive rebounds allows some counting of "Defensive
      Stops" for individuals, one thing I really want to track. The
      non-traditional stats are Forced Misses, Forced Turnovers, and Forced
      missed free throws. I also have in there Allowed Field Goals and
      Allowed Free throws. There is an explanation of how to score things
      in the spreadsheet.

      There clearly is some interpretation involved in doing the scoring.
      I find that scoring off of offensive rebounds is hard -- I often
      award a made FG off of an OR to the team unless it's obvious whose
      man picked up the garbage.

      Take a stab and ask me questions. I'd also be curious to score the
      same game as you to see how scoring varies between scorers. (I have
      found that official scorers occasional give steals to the wrong
      person and blocks are sometimes very questionable.)