116Re: [APBR_analysis] Re: How good are the Lakers?

  • Ed Weiland
    May 27, 2001
      --- msg_53@... wrote:
      > The 1989 Lakers were 11-0 going to the Finals,
      > but they got swept
      > there by Detroit. Has anyone else even gone 11-0 in
      > their
      > conference? ( or anything-and-0 )?

      The '89 Lakers are the only team to sweep their way
      through 11 playoff games. Back when the playoffs
      consisted of not so many games there were these teams
      going unbeaten in playoff games before the finals:

      '49 Lakers 4-0
      '50 Lakers 6-0
      '54 Nats 6-0
      '57 Hawks 5-0
      '57 Celtics 3-0
      '82 Lakers 8-0

      Closest was the '96 Bulls who went 11-1 pre-finals,
      losing only an OT game to the Knicks.

      '> The largest playoff margin of victory was not by
      > anyone listed
      > below. The 1956 Lakers outscored their opponents by
      > 18.7 ppg. They
      > lost to the Hawks 116-115, won 145-73, and lost
      > again by 116-115.
      > Incredible but true, one of my favorite trivia
      > items!
      > Maybe the Hawks all had food poisoning or
      > something, in game 2.

      Perhaps the game one win gave St. Louis enough
      confidence to coast through game 2. Seriously though,
      that is a wacky fact. Thanks for mentioning it.

      > For the record, I predicted the Lakers were due
      > for one of their
      > 30-point playoff losses, and I may have the record
      > of being wrong by
      > 69 points!
      > Beat that!

      I thought the Spurs would win game three also, but I'm
      sort of a long time Laker-hater and I figured that was
      probably just wishful thinking on my part. : (

      > --- In APBR_analysis@y..., Ed Weiland
      > <weiland1029@y...> wrote:
      > >

      > > The Lakers didn't have a historic regular season
      > in
      > > either W-L record or point differential. But they
      > > might be on their way to an unprecedented 15-0
      > sweep
      > > through the playoffs. I know there's a lot of
      > > basketball to be played yet, but whether it's the
      > > Bucks or the Sixers, the East opponent will not
      > only
      > > be worn down, they'll also be possibly the worst
      > team
      > > the Lakers will face during their run. A four game
      > > sweep in the finals is not only a possibility, it
      > > seems downright likely. Especially if 15-0 (or
      > > tree-fo-fo-fo as Moses Malone might put it) is a
      > > possibility going in. You know the Lakers are
      > thinking
      > > about it now and will be gunning for it.
      > >
      > > Here are some of the best playoff runs until this
      > > season that I found:
      > >
      > > '61 Celtics 8-2 11.9 point diff
      > > '71 Bucks 12-2 14.5
      > > '82 Lakers 12-2 6.1
      > > '83 Sixers 12-1 6.5
      > > '86 Celtics 15-3 10.3
      > > '87 Lakers 15-3 11.4
      > > '91 Bulls 15-2 11.8
      > > '96 Bulls 15-3 10.6
      > >

      > > The '01 Lakers are 10-0/14.1 so far. I don't ever
      > like
      > > to declare any team the best ever, especially a
      > team
      > > hasn't even been crowned champions yet and that's
      > not
      > > what I'm saying here. I will say that IF the
      > Lakers go
      > > on to run the table in the playoffs, you'd at the
      > very
      > > least have to call it the most impressive playoff
      > > performance ever. Considering it's being done
      > against
      > > possibly the best eight team field one conference
      > has
      > > ever sent into the playoffs, it's that much more
      > > amazing. Kind of a bummer, since I was looking
      > forward
      > > to a more exciting playoffs. At least we might get
      > > see history made.
      > >
      > > Ed Weiland

      > > Yahoo! Auctions - buy the things you want at great
      > prices
      > > http://auctions.yahoo.com/

      http://auctions.yahoo.com/
    • Show all 18 messages in this topic