111Re: Cha at Mil, 5/20

  • msg_53@hotmail.com
    May 24, 2001
      I would definitely like to see
      > them call hard fouls the way they should. Throw people out much
      > often, as far as I'm concerned.
      I don't like the idea of ejecting players, except in desperation.
      If a star player or 2, or 3, are gone, the game is hardly worth
      watching. Like locking up criminals and throwing away the key, in
      practice it doesn't work.
      Giving the damaged party 2 or 3 or 4 FTs, all the while the
      opposing coach is chewing out his player, would be better.
      Putting the onus on the refs, to eject Shaq in LA, would generally
      result in no penalty at all. Ejection is so "all-or-nothing". How
      to throw out the bathwater without tossing the baby.]
      How about this rule: first team flagrant foul = 2 FT and the ball
      out; 2nd team flagrant = 4 FT and the ball; etc...
      What we want is that the game not get out of hand, right?

      > Baron Davis is definitely good. He's playing well and he made big
      > strides over his rookie year. My sense is that the guards are a
      > part of the defense on the Hornet team, an unusual thing. Davis is
      > still raw, but is on his way. I have him with a win-loss record of
      > 10.1-3.8. In his 82 games, his O rtg was higher than his D rtg 48
      > times. Pretty good. I have his Net Pts/48 minutes as 0.2 or 1.1,
      > depending on how you calculate it.
      I had Davis among the most-improved leaders all season. He really
      brought it in the playoffs, too.

      > McKie is a little different. He, like Iverson, really benefits
      > Coach Brown, who has made this a good defense (I'd support his
      > more than Iverson's or McKie's). McKie's O rtg has been about 101
      > the last 2 years. His D rtg has been about 98. His win-loss
      > the last 2 years is 10.1-5.7. This past year, his O rtg was better
      > than his D rtg in 47 of 76 games. I haven't tracked his playoff
      > but they seem to have been good.
      > Dean Oliver
      > Journal of Basketball Studies

      Aaron McKie is having his 3rd straight playoff overachieving year.
      It seems to be a feature of his career: ok season, stupendous
    • Show all 18 messages in this topic