1092Re: Effect of Losing Man on Defense

    Jul 9, 2002
      --- In APBR_analysis@y..., "airiverson01" <airiverson01@y...> wrote:
      > the formula didn't seem to show defense much better than tndex or
      > many other systems do, am i missing something? i just wonder why
      > is called defensive rating or whatever you call it when it shows
      > offense a lot too.

      Just to clarify -- Doug calculates his tendex rating on all players
      but he also matches up players offensively and defensively. What he
      then does is evaluate how well defenders lower their opponent's
      tendex rating relative to their averages. This is to show that
      players who are good defenders, like Bruce Bowen, who also get
      matched up against the tough shooters, get credit for bringing down
      good offensive players to only decent offensive players. Doug told
      me that the tendex rating that he calculates for this actually does
      not include steals, blocks, or defensive rebounds after I suggested
      that reduction in those stats really isn't the doing of a defender.

    • Show all 6 messages in this topic