1047Re: Yao Ming

    Jun 28, 2002
      --- In APBR_analysis@y..., "Charles L. Steinhardt" <charles@p...>
      wrote:

      > Born in Boston = Celtics fan. Moved to Philly, but still have to
      be a
      > Celtics fan.

      What a tortured soul.

      > I think Bradley would have developed better elsewhere, in a
      situation
      > where fans didn't think he was the wrong pick.

      Like Utah.

      > > To no one's surprise, Houston was statistically significantly
      better
      > > with Francis in the lineup. Most of it was offense, where they
      were
      > > 4 pts better with him than without him. That works out to be
      about
      > > 10-12 victories better with him. Gulp.
      > >

      > They'll be an above .500 team IMO. Which in the West means they
      miss the
      > playoffs.

      I've been reading a bunch of papers on scientific methods of
      evaluating coaches. They're all on baseball, so I'm trying to extend
      the methods to basketball, but my sense is that RudyT is going to
      come out fairly high. There are lots of reasons for me to believe
      that Houston won't reach 0.500 (a major lack of defense that probably
      won't be helped by Francis or Glen Rice returning - though Ming
      should help), but RudyT is that piece that I think will get them to
      0.500.

      That then is 13 games that need to be trimmed off of other teams'
      projections. Chicago and Memphis both got 2 victories against a
      Francis-less Rockets team. For all those saying that Denver will be
      the worst team in history next year (I'm not sure why), Denver took
      only 1 game against Houston and that was with Francis in the lineup.