RE: [APA-PPD] call for speakers: 2010 APA national conference

  • Patrick H. Wyss
    Message 1 of 4 , Dec 4, 2009

      Deborah:

      I would be interested in speaking from the perspective of a small consulting firm. We have provided design and planning services since 1981, and in terms of client service, on a typical year 70% - 80% of our work is from repeat clients. We accomplish this by maintaining good ongoing relationships with our clients and seek to understand and service their planning needs. I believe there is no such thing as a “past client” just “past projects”.  I also serve on the Rapid City Planning Commission.

      Thanks,

      Pat

      Patrick Wyss, CEO

      Fellow, American Society of Landscape Architects

      WyssLogo1

      728 Sixth Street

      Rapid City, SD  57701

      phone:  605-348-2268 fax:  605-348-6506

      http://www.wyssassociates.com

      Message 2 of 4 , Dec 4, 2009
      • 62 KB
      December 4, 2009

      Deborah L. Myerson, AICP

      Planning and Development Consultant

      Tel/fax: 812.330.0898

      E-mail: dlmyerson@...

      Website: www.dmyersonconsulting.com

      834 S. Sheridan Dr. ~ Bloomington, Indiana 47401

      Dear Deborah:

      I am a Charter Member of AICP and have been a "consultant" since 1981 in all three capacities that you mention. I'd gladly volunteer as a moderator, a speaker or help with the presentation development.

      You can review the attached career summary or review my one paragraph summary below.  During my 30 year career I have experienced, studied, commented on and written about the role of 3rd party consultants and have especially led the charge regarding balancing ethics while providing high quality client services–a concept that young planners (and all client-servicing professionals) have significant problems comprehending; let alone applying in their day to day practice.

      CAREER SUMMARY

      I spent 1978-1980 as the Administrator for an Urban Renewal Project Area Committee where we hired consultants to help us choose the last four developers for the URA.  I spent 1981 to 1990 as an internal "consultant" for an affordable housing firm where I had to study markets and developments to report to investment committee AND also hire other consultants who might do the same.  I spent 1993 to 1999 as the National Director of the Affordable Housing Group for C&W where I managed field consultants who worked for municipalities, state agencies, investors, lenders and developers providing market studies, community development program advisory services and appraisals.  From 2000 to 2005 I was the sole proprietor of "Housing Advisors" a small consulting firm that did the same things I did at C&W but also did more planning work (HUD Consolidated Plans, Municipal Housing Market Analyses, Neighborhood Development studies and specific development consulting.).  From 2006 until May 2009 (before I got laid-off by a general RIF specified by the CFO's office) I was a Senior Manager at Ernst & Young's Tax Credit Investment Advisory Group where I advised the same clients I had worked for my entire career AND managed other consultants on team projects.  Since May 2009 I've been trying to find a job and I've also taken on small consulting assignments.  I maintain my affiliations with other planning firms and hope to work on some more HUD Consolidated Plans in 2010.  I am also volunteering time with another (going back to my roots of 1981) 2 person start-up, affordable housing company called GEOS Capital.

      As you can tell I have a multi-disciplined and varied background as well as significant leadership and managerial experience so I am very willing to help with coordination and development of this session.  Depending on time we could do more than the usual singular presentations and work on some open dialogue or role playing within the context of our agreed joint message.  At the very least I'd be available if you'd like to conduct a general brainstorming session and you want some "senior" input and listening.

      I am available to talk anytime about this opportunity.   Good luck with your efforts, if we don't connect.

      Douglas P. Koch, MAI, AICP

      advisoryaffiliates@...

      617-512-6787

      63 Avalon Road