PPD Member Input on CM

  • K.K. Gerhart-Fritz
    Message 1 of 5 , Mar 13, 2008
      PPD Member Input on CM

      The Private Practice Division Leadership would like input from our AICP members on the new Certification Maintenance (CM) program.  How is it working for you?  Do you have any comments (positive or negative) about the program that you would like to pass on to us?  The PPD board will be discussing the CM program at our business meeting at the APA Conference in Las Vegas, on Monday morning, April 28 at 7 AM (please join us -- a continental breakfast will be provided).  Use this listserve forum to let us know of any issues or concerns, or contact me directly if you prefer.  Thank you for being part of PPD and I hope to hear from you.

      K.K. Gerhart-Fritz, AICP, Vice-Chair
      Private Practice Division, American Planning Association
      The Planning Workshop
      7829 Wawasee CT.
      Indianapolis, IN 46250
      office: 317-598-0273
      cell: 317-501-1988
      planningworkshop@...

    • Paul Zucker
      Message 2 of 5 , Mar 13, 2008

        KK,

        Good to hear from you. I have major concerns about the way AICP is charging to register courses. Several of the universities are saying the cost is prohibiting them from certifying their continuing education courses. These are available on-line and a great way for planners to continue their education. In the fall I plan to again offer my Complete Management Course for Planning Directors in 10 cities. AICP used to co-sponsor this course and as part of that let me use the mailing list. However, I now need to purchase the mailing list. To get AICP course registration for these courses will be another $6,000 which is outrageous. I try to keep my course cost down but will have to find a way to add these costs to my registration fees.

        Paul Zucker, FAICP

        Message 3 of 5 , Mar 13, 2008
          The CM program has worked well for me so far.  I did not need to keep track of credits because I had just received a certificate from the volunteer continuing education program.  I decided to keep track of them on APA's website just to see how much effort would be required and in the last year I have accumulated enough credit to qualify for another 2-year period.  Attending the chapter conferences and sharing the costs of web seminars from APA and ITE at the local level have been inexpensive ways to gain credits.

          I attended a conference at my Alma mater as a speaker, which also qualified for CM credits, and they told me that initially they had trouble getting the conference registered at a reasonable rate.  They contacted their regional AICP representative and he was able to help them get the conference accredited at a lower rate.  Having to pay thousands of dollars to have a conference qualify is not acceptable as the chapters nor universities usually have a large profit margin to begin with.  So, it seems that they need to clarify and perhaps simplify the process for providers to make sure there are widespread affordable options for AICP members.

          Those are my thoughts.  As an AICP member using the system it seems to work well, but the providers seem to be having a good deal of difficulty with the system.

          Cynthia

[...]

          Champaign-Urbana Mass Transit District (MTD) accepts no liability for the content of this email, or for the consequences of any actions taken on the basis of the information provided, unless that information is subsequently confirmed in writing.  Any views or opinions presented in this email are solely those of the author and do not necessarily represent those of MTD.  If you are not the named addressee you should not disseminate, distribute, or copy this e-mail.  Please notify the sender immediately if you have received this e-mail by mistake and delete this e-mail from your system.

        • magbowie@aol.com
          Message 4 of 5 , Mar 13, 2008
            It would be a wonderful thing if we could get credit for AIA CEU's and PE CEU's.
            Any chance of pushing for that?
            Thanks.
            Mary Anne Bowie, FAICP

            In a message dated 3/13/2008 3:23:33 PM Eastern Daylight Time, planningworkshop@... writes:

[...]

            Post a message: APA-PPD@yahoogroups.com
            Subscribe:       APA-PPD-subscribe@yahoogroups.com

            The Private Practice Division of the American Planning Association strives to provide services to meet the needs of private practitioners in the field of urban and regional planning. The division offers its members access to networking opportunities, resources, timely information and technical support.

            The APA-PPD list offers the division's geographically dispersed membership an opportunity to share information, ask questions of a professional nature, and disseminate news pertinent to planning consultants.

          • Thomas C. Knickerbocker
            Message 5 of 5 , Mar 14, 2008

              I second Mary’s comment. For those of us who are also lawyers practicing in land use, environmental and natural resources law the Mandatory Continuing Legal Education, (MCLE), courses that are relevant to planning (of course excluding many areas of the law) should be recognized and included. By submitting the CM offerings of APA and AICP to the state BAR’s and ABA it is possible to get them dual certified. With some work on the part of APA their offerings can also be recognized by the states’ BAR’s. I strongly support this as there are only so many formal courses one can be involved in and still have a practice.

              Tom Knickerbocker, AICP

              Houston, Texas