AOH/LAOH National Convention in Philly

  • Gesska@aol.com
    Message 1 of 1 , Jun 8, 2004
      Dear Fellow Hibernians:
          In less than one month, the Philadelphia County Boards of the AOH/LAOH will host the 92nd Biennial National Hibernian Convention. The convention will be a the Philadelphia Wyndham at Franklin Plaza, 17th and Vine Streets.
          The Convention begins on Wednesday, July 7, 2004, till Saturday, July 10, 2004.  We have sold out the hotel and are fast approaching selling out the various events. The convention will feature a Philly Block Party on Wed. Night with the Quaker City String Band, a Philly style Do-wop group and more with Now and Then and a DJ spinning all of the sounds of Philadelphia. Thursday Night will by our Irish Night with local entertainment, Adult and Youth Irish Dance Groups and the presentation of the JFK medal to Fr. Aidan Troy of Holy Cross School. Friday Night is an open Night but we have a special package available to see the Irish Tenors at the Mann and have a buffet and drinks at Finnigans. We close the convention on Saturday Evening with our main banquet.
          The convention will also feature works of Christian Charity with a mini cook-in at Roman Catholic High, a visit to Magee Rehab and a collection of food and toiletries for the Veteran's Multi-Service Center, our troops overseas and those less fortunate than ourselves.
          There will also be Masses on Thursday and Friday morning at 8 Am at the Cathedral of St. Peter and St. Paul. The closing Mass will Saturday evening at 5:30 PM. Cardinal Rigali, who's at least 1/2 Irish, his Mother was a White, will welcome the delegates on Thursday morning.
          We hope that all of our brother and sister Hibernians of the Delaware Valley will stop by the hotel during the convention and welcome our guest from throughout the United States and Ireland. Please join your brother and sister who worked so hard to ensure the success of the convention. There are still packages available, see the convention website, the latest edition of the Hibernian Digest or for more information on any event or how to donate, please do not hesitate to contact me.
       Thanks,
      Bob Gessler

      Ps. we are looking for donations of shirts, hats, mugs anything from the local area, particularly the Hibernian Divisions for the Block Party. We always brag that the strength of the Philadelphia Hibernians is the passion and dedication of our members to our motto, Let Friendship, Unity and Christian Charity, ring out at the National Convention.