Re: [ANE-2] Re: Ugarit - "tablets in kiln", Beth Shean, etc.

  • David Hall
    Message 1 of 8 , Feb 5, 2009
      Perhaps some can accept that tablets might have accidentally fallen into a kiln from a burning second floor.  That was not the only logical explaination for clay tablets being in a pottery kiln.

      This afternoon I read Eliezer Oren's account of the Northern Cemetary at Beth Shean (1973).  It was in synch with Killebrew's recent publication that the anthropoid sarcophagi found at Beth Shean were stylized Egyptian.  Oren's publication indicated the figures on the faces of the clay coffins were as likely Denyen/Dananu mercenaries rather than Philistine as the Denyen may have arrived along the south coast before the Philistines. The faces on the coffins were without the typical beards of the Semites and the head bands, when shown, more often differed from the feathered headgear of the sea peoples. There was no Philistine pottery found on the mound.

      Read some more of Mazar's work on Tel Beth Shean Iron Age II (Studies in the Archaeology of the Iron Age, 2001) and found evidence in his summary of strata for a small unfortified community on top of the steep sided hill from about the time of Saul.  No city walls were found.  I recall the Biblical account of the Philistines hanging Sauls' body on the Beth Shean city wall 1 Samuel 31:8, yet there was no city wall found.

      I suppose the historicity of the Bible became more believable for later times rather than earlier times.  Perhaps Finkelstein's orientation away from a maximalist position was after much study.

      David Q. Hall
      dqhall59@...