Titus Tobler References

  • JEFFREY A BLAKELY
    Message 1 of 5 , Feb 5, 2009
      In 1859 in Titus Tobler's Wanderung nach Palastina, in a reference he refers to "Vitriac c. 41" and also "Pauli cod. diplom. 1, 18." When I photocopied certain pages I did not get the appropriate aspects of the apparatus. Clearly such texts are not my field. Could someone tell me what texts Tobler was referring to and also let me know if there are more modern editions of them? Thank you very much for any helpJeff Blakely, Madison, Wisconsin

    • goranson@duke.edu
      Message 2 of 5 , Feb 5, 2009
        Quoting JEFFREY A BLAKELY <jblakely@...>:

        > In 1859 in Titus Tobler's Wanderung nach Palastina, in a reference he
        > refers to "Vitriac c. 41" and also "Pauli cod. diplom. 1, 18." When
        > I photocopied certain pages I did not get the appropriate aspects of
        > the apparatus. Clearly such texts are not my field. Could someone
        > tell me what texts Tobler was referring to and also let me know if
        > there are more modern editions of them? Thank you very much for any
        > helpJeff Blakely, Madison, Wisconsin

        The full book by Tobler is available at Google Books.

        The first ref may be to Jacobus de Vitriaco whose Latin history of
        Jerusalem is
        translated in:
        The history of Jerusalem.
        A.D. 1180.

        Jacobus, de Vitriaco Cardinal; Aubrey Stewart
        1896
        English Article Article vi p., 1 l., 128 p. fold. map, 23 cm.

        Stephen Goranson
        http://www.duke.edu/~goranson
        "Essenes & Others" etc.
      • JEFFREY A BLAKELY
        Message 3 of 5 , Feb 5, 2009
          Stephen,

          Thank you for your help and observations. I had been confining my search to before 1859 and I will admit to being a slave to OCLC and not Google. Yes, Vitriaco, and yes the PPTS did publish the translation.

          Best wishes,
          Jeff Blakely
          Madison, Wisconsin

        • goranson@duke.edu
          Message 4 of 5 , Feb 6, 2009
            Jeff, from OCLC, here's a guess about the second reference:

            Codice diplomatico del Sacro militare ordine gerosolimitano oggi di Malta :
            raccolto da varj documenti di quell' archivio, per servire alla storia dello
            stesso ordine in Soria e illustrato con una serie cronologia de' gran maestri,
            che lo governarono in quei tempi, con alcune notizie storiche, genealogiche,
            geografiche, ed altre osservazioni /

            Sebastiano Paoli
            1733-1737
            Latin Book Book 2 v. : ill. ; 38 cm.
            In Lucca : Per Salvatore e Giandomenico Marescandoli,

            Stephen
            http://www.duke.edu/~goranson/jannaeus.pdf
          • JEFFREY A BLAKELY
            Message 5 of 5 , Feb 6, 2009
              Stephen,

              Yes, that is the book. The reference works. Thank you very much for your insight.