re: throwing shoes

  • arenmaeir
    Message 1 of 3 , Feb 5, 2009
      So that it won't seem that my comments are only negative, here is
      something that might be interesting to discuss.

      In light of the fact that it is now becoming quite "in fashion" to
      throw shoes at people with whom you disagree (first at Bush, then at
      the foreign minister of China, and now at the Israeli ambassador in
      Sweden), I thought this might provide an interesting opportunity to
      discuss the role of the shoe, its ballistic function, and even, from
      this, barefootedness in the ANE.

      What comes to my mind is:
      1) Throwing shoes as in the Bible: e.g. Ps 60:10 (throwing a shoe at
      Edom).
      2) Using a shoe to make an oath (Ruth 4:8).
      3) The role of the shoe in the "yibum" ritual (Dtr 12:9).
      4) The old suggestion (by Albright, I don't think it holds up
      anymore) that in ANE art, barefoot figures are to be seen as priests.

      For some recent discussions on some of these issues, see:
      Chinitz, J. 2007. The Role of the Shoe in the Bible. Jewish Bible
      Quarterly 35(1): 41-46.
      Malul, M. 2001. Foot Symbolism in the Ancient Near East: Imprinting
      Foundings' Fee in Clay in Ancient Mesopotamia. Zeitschrift für
      Altorientalische und Biblische Rechtsgeschichte 7: 353-67.
      Thomas, P. 2008. The Riddle of Ishtar's Shoes; The Religious
      Significance of the Footprints at `Ain Dara from a Comparative
      Perspective. Journal of Religious History 32(3): 303-19.

      So, here's an opportunity to play some "footsy" (or maybe "shoey"...).

      Aren Maeir
      gath.wordpress.com
    • victor
      Message 2 of 3 , Feb 5, 2009
        Hello Aren,
        This seems to be a timely, worthy and fun topic for discussion. Offhand I
        think of Amos 2:6 where the prophet accuses Israel of selling the righteous
        for silver and the poor for shoes. This brings me to I Samuel 12:3 where if
        I remember correctly wa’a`alim `eyni has been emended to wena`alayim, shoes
        based on LXX. And these two passages bring me to an Akkadian text ABL 1285
        r. 27, the Urad-Gula letter which I have written about in two places, in
        which he complains that he can’t afford a pair of shoes. So apparently shoes
        are representative of a paltry sum. I think Shalom Paul in his Amos
        commentary has discussed this idiom.
        In general, have a look at CAD $2 s.v. $enu, shoe (same word as se’on in Is.
        9:4.).
        And then there’s also shoelace of Genesis 14:23 which is also an expression
        signifying paltry sums with parallels in both Aramaic and Akkadian in which
        chaff is substituted for the shoe lace (Muffs has discussed these passages
        in an appendix to his article on Abraham the Noble Warrior). Specifically
        mihom we`ad hut(.) and hamu u hucabu.
        Victor Hurowitz
        BGU

        _____

        Message 3 of 3 , Feb 5, 2009
          Dear Victor, Aren, et. al.

          There is also Mark 1:7, Like 3:16, John 1:27.

          The NRSV translates all of these (i.e., both the OT verses and the NT) as
          sandal thongs, not shoe laces.

          What did the shoes look like? Are sandal thongs shoe laces? According to the
          text, they must be separate from the shoes and capable of being loosened.
          Were there holes in the sandals to tie them up with these things?

          Best,

          Liz Fried

          Ann Arbor

          _____