Re: [ANE-2] Topic Headings

  • Jeffrey B. Gibson
    Message 1 of 5 , Feb 4, 2009
      LFK wrote:
      > It is most probably a machine thing.
      >
      > Usually this happens when someone sends a message
      > not by choosing "New massage" from his, or her email
      > program,
      Your e-mail program offers massages?? Which one is it??
      > but by replying to a previous one, and changing
      > the subject accordingly. Some email programs can detect
      > this, and then they group messages accordingly.

      What is happening is that people are just hitting the reply button to
      message with title X without changing the header even though they are
      sending a message whose topic is quite different from what the header
      suggests it is.

      So it's the the responsibility of anyone posting on a new topic while
      replying to something in a message about another topic to change the
      header to reflect the change of topic.

      Jeffrey

      --
      Jeffrey B. Gibson, D.Phil. (Oxon)
      1500 W. Pratt Blvd.
      Message 2 of 5 , Feb 4, 2009
        On Wed, 4 Feb 2009, Jeffrey B. Gibson wrote:

        > LFK wrote:
        >> It is most probably a machine thing.
        >>
        >> Usually this happens when someone sends a message
        >> not by choosing "New massage" from his, or her email
        >> program,
        > Your e-mail program offers massages?? Which one is it??
        >> but by replying to a previous one, and changing
        >> the subject accordingly. Some email programs can detect
        >> this, and then they group messages accordingly.
        >>
        > What is happening is that people are just hitting the reply button to
        > message with title X without changing the header even though they are
        > sending a message whose topic is quite different from what the header
        > suggests it is.
        >
        > So it's the the responsibility of anyone posting on a new topic while
        > replying to something in a message about another topic to change the
        > header to reflect the change of topic.

        A valid point, but completely irrelevant to the question, which is why do
        messages with different subject lines get threaded together on the group's
        message page. Lampros is correct when he say that if you choose "reply"
        most email programs insert a header that says <In-Reply-To:> with a
        message identifier. The threading software uses these headers to
        construct the message threads without regard to the subject line. Thus if
        you choose "reply" your message will likely be threaded with the previous
        messages even if you change the subject line and if you choose "new
        message" your message will likely not be included in the thread even
        though it has the same subject line as the rest of the thread.

        Bob Whiting
        whiting@...
      • E. Adams
        Message 3 of 5 , Feb 6, 2009
          Thanks to Prof Whiting and L.Kallenos for explaining this
          to us --
          Too bad we can't have a technology which would not
          rely on each of our expertise in such things. Thus
          if one person on the topic does it wrong, all the later
          postings which follow that posting follow him into
          the wrong heading! It would be great if one could just
          download or print a topic and get a whole thread without
          having to take the time to manually assemble it.

          E. Adams