Re: [ANE-2] Topic Headings

  • LFK
    Message 1 of 5 , Feb 4, 2009
      It is most probably a machine thing.

      Usually this happens when someone sends a message
      not by choosing "New massage" from his, or her email
      program, but by replying to a previous one, and changing
      the subject accordingly. Some email programs can detect
      this, and then they group messages accordingly.

      ________________________
      Lampros F. Kallenos
      Idalion, Lefkosia
      Kypros
    • Jeffrey B. Gibson
      Message 2 of 5 , Feb 4, 2009
        LFK wrote:
        > It is most probably a machine thing.
        >
        > Usually this happens when someone sends a message
        > not by choosing "New massage" from his, or her email
        > program,
        Your e-mail program offers massages?? Which one is it??
        > but by replying to a previous one, and changing
        > the subject accordingly. Some email programs can detect
        > this, and then they group messages accordingly.

        What is happening is that people are just hitting the reply button to
        message with title X without changing the header even though they are
        sending a message whose topic is quite different from what the header
        suggests it is.

        So it's the the responsibility of anyone posting on a new topic while
        replying to something in a message about another topic to change the
        header to reflect the change of topic.

        Jeffrey

        --
        Jeffrey B. Gibson, D.Phil. (Oxon)
        1500 W. Pratt Blvd.
        Message 3 of 5 , Feb 4, 2009
          On Wed, 4 Feb 2009, Jeffrey B. Gibson wrote:

          > LFK wrote:
          >> It is most probably a machine thing.
          >>
          >> Usually this happens when someone sends a message
          >> not by choosing "New massage" from his, or her email
          >> program,
          > Your e-mail program offers massages?? Which one is it??
          >> but by replying to a previous one, and changing
          >> the subject accordingly. Some email programs can detect
          >> this, and then they group messages accordingly.
          >>
          > What is happening is that people are just hitting the reply button to
          > message with title X without changing the header even though they are
          > sending a message whose topic is quite different from what the header
          > suggests it is.
          >
          > So it's the the responsibility of anyone posting on a new topic while
          > replying to something in a message about another topic to change the
          > header to reflect the change of topic.

          A valid point, but completely irrelevant to the question, which is why do
          messages with different subject lines get threaded together on the group's
          message page. Lampros is correct when he say that if you choose "reply"
          most email programs insert a header that says <In-Reply-To:> with a
          message identifier. The threading software uses these headers to
          construct the message threads without regard to the subject line. Thus if
          you choose "reply" your message will likely be threaded with the previous
          messages even if you change the subject line and if you choose "new
          message" your message will likely not be included in the thread even
          though it has the same subject line as the rest of the thread.

          Bob Whiting
          whiting@...
        • E. Adams
          Message 4 of 5 , Feb 6, 2009
            Thanks to Prof Whiting and L.Kallenos for explaining this
            to us --
            Too bad we can't have a technology which would not
            rely on each of our expertise in such things. Thus
            if one person on the topic does it wrong, all the later
            postings which follow that posting follow him into
            the wrong heading! It would be great if one could just
            download or print a topic and get a whole thread without
            having to take the time to manually assemble it.

            E. Adams