Topic Headings

  • E. Adams
    Message 1 of 5 , Feb 3, 2009
      Dear List Members,
      We are regularly admonished by one of our moderators
      to change topic headings when the content of the message
      no longer matches the heading.

      Today I noticed that the five messages all of which
      bore the subject heading "Ebla's Red Temple found" had
      been suddenly grouped along with the three messages on
      the topic of El-Ilu. I read carefully through the last
      El-Ilu message to see if there was any connecting content
      to the first "Ebla's Red Temple" message. I could see
      none at all. The topic totally changed and the subject
      headings changed with it. Why do totally separate topics
      get placed under a false heading in the topic list???

      Is this a machine or a person who makes these "topic"
      decisions?

      E. Adams
    • LFK
      Message 2 of 5 , Feb 4, 2009
        It is most probably a machine thing.

        Usually this happens when someone sends a message
        not by choosing "New massage" from his, or her email
        program, but by replying to a previous one, and changing
        the subject accordingly. Some email programs can detect
        this, and then they group messages accordingly.

        ________________________
        Lampros F. Kallenos
        Idalion, Lefkosia
        Kypros
      • Jeffrey B. Gibson
        Message 3 of 5 , Feb 4, 2009
          LFK wrote:
          > It is most probably a machine thing.
          >
          > Usually this happens when someone sends a message
          > not by choosing "New massage" from his, or her email
          > program,
          Your e-mail program offers massages?? Which one is it??
          > but by replying to a previous one, and changing
          > the subject accordingly. Some email programs can detect
          > this, and then they group messages accordingly.

          What is happening is that people are just hitting the reply button to
          message with title X without changing the header even though they are
          sending a message whose topic is quite different from what the header
          suggests it is.

          So it's the the responsibility of anyone posting on a new topic while
          replying to something in a message about another topic to change the
          header to reflect the change of topic.

          Jeffrey

          --
          Jeffrey B. Gibson, D.Phil. (Oxon)
          1500 W. Pratt Blvd.
          Message 4 of 5 , Feb 4, 2009
            On Wed, 4 Feb 2009, Jeffrey B. Gibson wrote:

            > LFK wrote:
            >> It is most probably a machine thing.
            >>
            >> Usually this happens when someone sends a message
            >> not by choosing "New massage" from his, or her email
            >> program,
            > Your e-mail program offers massages?? Which one is it??
            >> but by replying to a previous one, and changing
            >> the subject accordingly. Some email programs can detect
            >> this, and then they group messages accordingly.
            >>
            > What is happening is that people are just hitting the reply button to
            > message with title X without changing the header even though they are
            > sending a message whose topic is quite different from what the header
            > suggests it is.
            >
            > So it's the the responsibility of anyone posting on a new topic while
            > replying to something in a message about another topic to change the
            > header to reflect the change of topic.

            A valid point, but completely irrelevant to the question, which is why do
            messages with different subject lines get threaded together on the group's
            message page. Lampros is correct when he say that if you choose "reply"
            most email programs insert a header that says <In-Reply-To:> with a
            message identifier. The threading software uses these headers to
            construct the message threads without regard to the subject line. Thus if
            you choose "reply" your message will likely be threaded with the previous
            messages even if you change the subject line and if you choose "new
            message" your message will likely not be included in the thread even
            though it has the same subject line as the rest of the thread.

            Bob Whiting
            whiting@...
          • E. Adams
            Message 5 of 5 , Feb 6, 2009
              Thanks to Prof Whiting and L.Kallenos for explaining this
              to us --
              Too bad we can't have a technology which would not
              rely on each of our expertise in such things. Thus
              if one person on the topic does it wrong, all the later
              postings which follow that posting follow him into
              the wrong heading! It would be great if one could just
              download or print a topic and get a whole thread without
              having to take the time to manually assemble it.

              E. Adams