RE: [ANE-2] Fw: Aphek, at the head of the Yarkon River

  • James Spinti
    Message 1 of 3 , Feb 3, 2009
      It was published in 2000. For a table of contents, see here:
      http://www.eisenbrauns.com/wconnect/wc.dll?ebGate~EIS~~I~KOC1APHEK

      HTH,
      James

      ________________________________
      James Spinti
      Marketing Director, Book Sales Division
      jspinti at eisenbrauns dot com
      Web: http://www.eisenbrauns.com
      Phone: 574-269-2011 ext 226
      From: David Hall <dqhall59@...>
      Subject: Aphek, at the head of the Yarkon River
      To: "ANE" <ane-2@yahoogroups.com>
      Date: Tuesday, February 3, 2009, 2:32 PM

      I was reading a report published after the 1972-1976 excavatons at Aphek, "Aphek - Antipatris," by Moshe Kochavi, (IES publ.)

      Apparently some cuneiform tablets were found there, including a storage inventory, and a fragment of a bilingual Sumerian- Akkadian epic, a trilingual list of a few terms including Canaanite, and a bulla of a Hittite prince (?).  I am not sure of this as more recent studies placed Hurrian peoples this far south with the Hittites further north.  The LBA strata at Aphek was described as thin.

      I have also read in another text a theory that Tel Qasille (Tel Aviv area) near the mouth of the Yarkon and Aphek at the upper end of the Yarkon River was the northern extent of the Philistine occupation.  Aphek was destroyed multiple times and theoretically destroyed in the middle of the 11th century, presumably by Israel.

      I wondered if anyone knew of more reports about Aphek in English.

      David Q. Hall
      dqhall59@...

    • eliot braun
      Message 2 of 3 , Feb 3, 2009
        Yes, Tel Aphek II is in press and will probably appear in 2009.

        Eliot Braun, Ph D
        PO Box 21, Har Adar 90836 Israel
        Tel 972-2-5345687, Cell 972-50-2231096