RE: [ANE-2] Kurds

  • Trudy Kawami
    Message 1 of 3 , Feb 2, 2009
      The identification of Kurds in antiquity can be problematic. The
      Kardukkoi of Herodotus' are an obvious example that seems to work, but
      how we are to apply this to other groups and times is not clear. It is
      basically a question of how do you identify a Kurd. In modern times
      self-identification in an ethnic group is the basic standard. Thus even
      if you have been raised in the US or Europe and don't really speak
      Kurdish but an ancestor was a Kurd and you call yourself a Kurd, you are
      a Kurd. In antiquity we are limited to written records, so that remains
      our only "document" to identify Kurds. In addition, most of the written
      records were produced by non-Kurdish peoples so we have to be wary of
      ethnic terms that were used in ways differing from the present. Just
      keep in mind the identity of modern Gypsies (Roma). They came from
      neither Egypt nor Rome but you couldn't tell that from the names that
      others give them.

      Sorry not be able to offer a clearer answer, but at least you have some
      caveats to apply to what you find.

      Trudy

      PS Forgot to add that the actual date of an "ancient" account may be
      later than the event it describes. Another layer of complications.

      Message 2 of 3 , Feb 3, 2009
        --- In ANE-2@yahoogroups.com, "Trudy Kawami" <tkawami@...> wrote:

        Thank you Trudy Kawami. That was about as far as I was able to get -
        well, close to it. It is sad that we know so little about this area of
        the world in the pre-Roman period. Thank you for you help.

        Frank Clancy