Re: [ANE-2] Mirror plaques

  • Sam WOLFF
    Message 1 of 4 , Jan 25, 2009
      I don't think much has appeared regarding the use of mirror plaques since Rahmani's IEJ article, but I have compiled a list of all of the recent finds from Israel. Interestingly, not all are from funerary contexts. This list will appear in the final report of the excavations at Tel Hamid, which mainly yielded Iron Age II material but there was also a 7th century CE phase where a mirror plaque fragment was identified. Ze'ev, contact me privately if you are interested in receiving this list.

      Sam Wolff
      Jerusalem

      Zeev Weiss asks:
      Several mirror plaques were found in tombs in ancient Palestine and Syria. It is suggested that they were used for magic purposes and therefore installed in burial context. I wonder if any of you can provide me with some information regarding use of mirrors, possibly in magic context, in late antique society.