New book announcement

  • judith weingarten
    Message 1 of 4 , Jan 16, 2009
      *Perhaps of interest to some list-members,
      this new book from Peeters Publishers
      <http://www.peeters-leuven.be/boekoverz.asp?nr=8349>, Leuven:
      *
      Covering the Moon
      An Introduction to Middle Eastern Face Veils

      *Authors: * Vogelsang-Eastwood G.
      <http://www.peeters-leuven.be/search_author_book.asp?nr=3183>, Vogelsang
      W. <http://www.peeters-leuven.be/search_author_book.asp?nr=3184>

      *Summary:*
      The subject of veiling and face veil is nowadays one of the most
      controversial topics in the media and the public domain.Most people, and
      especially politicians and journalists, in both Muslim and non-Muslim
      societies, seem to have a strong opinion about it. Many books and
      articles have been written about the question as to why women wear a
      face veil and whether or not it represents a form of oppression. In
      contrast, there is very little information about the face veils
      themselves, the various types and the regional variations.

      This book describes and illustrates the history of face veils, from its
      pre-Islamic origins to the present day. It tells about the many regional
      variations, from Morocco in the far west to Central Asia in the
      northeast. It emphasises the role of face veils as a form of dress and
      identity, rather than a garment that conceals an individual's persona.

      *Year: *2008
      *ISBN: *978-90-429-1990-7
      *Pages: *X-247 p.
      *Price: *78 EURO

      --
      Visit Zenobia's blog at Empress of the East
      <http://judithweingarten.blogspot.com>
      Message 2 of 4 , Jul 11, 2012
        /Die Parther - die vergessene Großmacht/ (/The Parthians - the forgotten
        empire/) by Uwe Ellerbrock
        290 pages, 55 pictures, German language, 29,90 Euro

        Zabern Verlag http://www.zabern.de/buch/Die_Parther/22679
        <http://www.zabern.de/buch/Die_Parther/22679>
        and
        http://www.zabern.de/media/2/Pressetext_Ellerbrock_Die%20Parther.pdf
        <http://www.zabern.de/media/2/Pressetext_Ellerbrock_Die%20Parther.pdf>

        Contents:
        The Parthian empire - a first approach
        Pre-parthian history - a short overview
        The history of the Parthian Empire
        Vassal - states, Parthian Kingdoms, and towns under parthian influence
        (Osrhoene, Kommagene, Gordyene, Adiabene, Media Atropatene,
        Charakene,Elymais,
        Persis, Hatra)
        Parthian architecture
        - Important parthian towns
        The parthian and the nomads in Eurasia - cultural transfer between east
        and west
        (Sarmaten, Saken, Graeco-Bactrian Empire, Indo Greeks,Indo-Parthia, Kushan)
        The structure of Power of the Parthians (king, Investiture, political
        structure)
        Insights into the social structure
        ( man- women, slaves, music, parthian clothing, income,cooking,
        language, inscriptions, medicin, parthian literature)
        Calculations of time
        Trade and economy
        Military force
        Parthian art
        Religion (changing of the greek tyche to the parthian Tyche)
        Parthian heritage

        All good wishes,

        Judith Weingarten
        Belforte (Si), Italy

        --
        Visit Zenobia's blog at Empress of the East
        <http://judithweingarten.blogspot.com>
      • Antonio Lombatti
        Message 3 of 4 , Jul 11, 2012
          Hi all,

          I'm having troubles in ordering a PDF copy of this article via my university library:

          http://www.jstor.org/discover/10.2307/27925616?uid=3738296&uid=2134&uid=364392341&uid=2129&uid=2&uid=70&uid=3&uid=364392331&uid=60&sid=21100911145941

          Can anyone help me? An off list mail would be greatly appreciated.

          Antonio Lombatti
          Parma, Italia
        • Douglas Petrovich
          Message 4 of 4 , Jul 11, 2012
            Dear Antonio and List,

            “I'm having troubles in ordering a PDF copy of this article via my university library:”

            The article was download and sent, off list.

            Hoping that summer is profitable for all,

            Doug Petrovich
            Toronto, Canada