SV: [ANE-2] Re: Important New Book

  • Thomas L. Thompson
    Message 1 of 2 , Jan 7, 2009
      Dear Frank
      It is what the Albright school used to call historical probability!
      Thomas

      Thomas L. Thompson
      University of Copenhagen

      ________________________________

      Message 2 of 2 , Jan 7, 2009
        Dear Thomas,
        That is clear to me, but it is the same with other approaches. In a
        sense, though, Albright was
        right, since 'probability' never is more than possibility, which
        always splits up as either Yes or No,
        and thus is the logical equivalent of 'I don't have an answer'. In
        that sense Albright was right
        (and everyone else as well). 'Probability' means 'I don't have an
        answer, but would like to prefer...'.
        As long as we remember that simple rule not much can go wrong. It
        means, however, that we have to
        refrain from doctrinal statements.
        Best regards,
        Frank