Re: Important New Book

  • frankclancy
    Message 1 of 4 , Jan 6, 2009
      Happy New Year all! Certainly 2009 could not be worse than 2008!

      The most important argument for the identification of Beitin with
      Bethel -one used by Anson Rainey- is the possible transformation of
      the name - changing the final "l" to "n". Jezreel is a case in
      point. However, I suggest there is another possiblity for Beitin and
      that is "Pirathon".

      There are several reasons why Pirathon should be in this area. The
      traditional site near Elmatten -west of Mt Gerizim - is not in the
      Mount Ephraim region and Pirathon was located in the mountain region
      of Ephraim (Judges 12:15). Nadav Na'aman suggests a region along the
      western side of Ephraim near the Sharon Plain. However, that does
      not make sense. 1 Macc. 9: 50 claims Bacchides "built strong cities
      in Judea" including Bethel and Pharathon. All these locations seem
      to be along the northern border of Judea from Jericho in the east to
      Emmaus and Beth-horon in the west. The region suggested by Naaman was
      not in Judea at the time.

      The list of Davidic heroes (2 Sam 23: 24-39) names many places in
      Judea. Among them is Benaiah of Pirathon. If Pirathon is well to
      the north and/or west of Beitin, then this person is the only one
      from Samaria or the Mountain region of Ephraim. However, if Pirathon
      is near or on the northern border regionb of Judea, then he fits the
      pattern and all the names are from Judea and the southern regions.

      how difficult would it be to transform the name from Pirathon or
      Pharathon to Beitin? pirathon must be somewhere in the Beitin-Ophrah
      region.

      Frank Clancy

      > The article--which interacts with the issues on the level of
      biblical, archaeological, and topographical evidence--then goes on to
      argue for the following conclusions:

      > Ai ≠ et Tell
      > Bethel ≠ Beitin
      >
      > Bethel = el-Bira/Bireh
      > Ai = Khirbet el-Maqatir
      > Beth Aven = Beitin
      >
      > From here, I will let the article speak for itself. In the spirit
      of Niels Lemche, further interaction on this topic need not take
      place until the literature is read. As for the book itself, it is
      worth noting that the views and perspectives of the authors are quite
      wide-ranging and diverse.

      > With warm wishes,
      >
      > Doug Petrovich
      > Toronto

    • Frank Polak
      Message 2 of 4 , Jan 7, 2009
        Hi Folks,
        Five equations with ten unknowns,
        what is the meaning of any 'solution' in such context?
        Maximal Best for 2009,
        Frank Polak