Re: [ANE-2] Important New Book

  • Yigal Levin
    Message 1 of 4 , Jan 6, 2009
      Josh. 5:12 states quite clearly that the manna stopped falling after the Israelites crossed the Jordan. Don't know about the quails...

      Amihai Mazar has published papers about the Iron Age beehives from Tel Rehov in Antiquity 317 (2008) and in Qadmoniot 136 (2008) in Hebrew.

      While I have not seen the book under discussion, I have read Wood's proposal elsewhere, and found it unvonvincing from a geographical point of view. Moving Bethel from Beitin to el-Bireh needs more proof than that.

      Yigal Levin

      Message 2 of 4 , Jan 6, 2009
        Happy New Year all! Certainly 2009 could not be worse than 2008!

        The most important argument for the identification of Beitin with
        Bethel -one used by Anson Rainey- is the possible transformation of
        the name - changing the final "l" to "n". Jezreel is a case in
        point. However, I suggest there is another possiblity for Beitin and
        that is "Pirathon".

        There are several reasons why Pirathon should be in this area. The
        traditional site near Elmatten -west of Mt Gerizim - is not in the
        Mount Ephraim region and Pirathon was located in the mountain region
        of Ephraim (Judges 12:15). Nadav Na'aman suggests a region along the
        western side of Ephraim near the Sharon Plain. However, that does
        not make sense. 1 Macc. 9: 50 claims Bacchides "built strong cities
        in Judea" including Bethel and Pharathon. All these locations seem
        to be along the northern border of Judea from Jericho in the east to
        Emmaus and Beth-horon in the west. The region suggested by Naaman was
        not in Judea at the time.

        The list of Davidic heroes (2 Sam 23: 24-39) names many places in
        Judea. Among them is Benaiah of Pirathon. If Pirathon is well to
        the north and/or west of Beitin, then this person is the only one
        from Samaria or the Mountain region of Ephraim. However, if Pirathon
        is near or on the northern border regionb of Judea, then he fits the
        pattern and all the names are from Judea and the southern regions.

        how difficult would it be to transform the name from Pirathon or
        Pharathon to Beitin? pirathon must be somewhere in the Beitin-Ophrah
        region.

        Frank Clancy

        > The article--which interacts with the issues on the level of
        biblical, archaeological, and topographical evidence--then goes on to
        argue for the following conclusions:

        > Ai ≠ et Tell
        > Bethel ≠ Beitin
        >
        > Bethel = el-Bira/Bireh
        > Ai = Khirbet el-Maqatir
        > Beth Aven = Beitin
        >
        > From here, I will let the article speak for itself. In the spirit
        of Niels Lemche, further interaction on this topic need not take
        place until the literature is read. As for the book itself, it is
        worth noting that the views and perspectives of the authors are quite
        wide-ranging and diverse.

        > With warm wishes,
        >
        > Doug Petrovich
        > Toronto

      • Frank Polak
        Message 3 of 4 , Jan 7, 2009
          Hi Folks,
          Five equations with ten unknowns,
          what is the meaning of any 'solution' in such context?
          Maximal Best for 2009,
          Frank Polak