Important New Book

  • dp@exegesisinternational.org
    Message 1 of 4 , Jan 4, 2009
      Dear List,

      I have been wanting to make this post since November, but the busyness of the end of the semester and the holidays put me so far behind that I was unable to accomplish many things on my "to do list" until now.

      While I was at JBL, I picked up a new book that was literally hot off of the press. In fact, it is(/was) so new (then) that the introduction is dated 11 Sept 2008. The book is entitled "Critical Issues in Early Israelite History", and it was edited by Hess, Klingbeil, and Paul Ray Jr. (Eisenbrauns, 2008).

      I am reading and working on a review of the book at the moment. For all who have interest in ancient Isrealite history, ANE archaeology, and the topography of the southern Levant, this book is a must read. While there are a number of important articles, the most impressive that I have read yet is "The Search for Joshua's Ai", by Bryant Wood.

      It is about this article that I want to comment in the present posting. This is probably the most important writing yet composed on the theme of the Ai of the book of Joshua. One of the most important accomplishments of the article is that it thoroughly debunks and exposes the lost-standing conclusion among most historians and archaeologists that the Ai of Joshua 7-8 is to be associated with et-Tell.

      If this popular association were not taken so seriously and argued so vehemently throughout the course of the last 85 years or so, it would be utterly laughable. But because of its widespread acceptance, there is no place left for the deserved humor of it. Wood's article forever dispels this terrible lack of sound scholarship, which Albright popularized almost a century ago.

      The article--which interacts with the issues on the level of biblical, archaeological, and topographical evidence--then goes on to argue for the following conclusions:

      Ai ≠ et Tell
      Bethel ≠ Beitin

      Bethel = el-Bira/Bireh
      Ai = Khirbet el-Maqatir
      Beth Aven = Beitin

      From here, I will let the article speak for itself. In the spirit of Niels Lemche, further interaction on this topic need not take place until the literature is read. As for the book itself, it is worth noting that the views and perspectives of the authors are quite wide-ranging and diverse.

      With warm wishes,

      Doug Petrovich
      Toronto

    • Yigal Levin
      Message 2 of 4 , Jan 6, 2009
        Josh. 5:12 states quite clearly that the manna stopped falling after the Israelites crossed the Jordan. Don't know about the quails...

        Amihai Mazar has published papers about the Iron Age beehives from Tel Rehov in Antiquity 317 (2008) and in Qadmoniot 136 (2008) in Hebrew.

        While I have not seen the book under discussion, I have read Wood's proposal elsewhere, and found it unvonvincing from a geographical point of view. Moving Bethel from Beitin to el-Bireh needs more proof than that.

        Yigal Levin

        Message 3 of 4 , Jan 6, 2009
          Happy New Year all! Certainly 2009 could not be worse than 2008!

          The most important argument for the identification of Beitin with
          Bethel -one used by Anson Rainey- is the possible transformation of
          the name - changing the final "l" to "n". Jezreel is a case in
          point. However, I suggest there is another possiblity for Beitin and
          that is "Pirathon".

          There are several reasons why Pirathon should be in this area. The
          traditional site near Elmatten -west of Mt Gerizim - is not in the
          Mount Ephraim region and Pirathon was located in the mountain region
          of Ephraim (Judges 12:15). Nadav Na'aman suggests a region along the
          western side of Ephraim near the Sharon Plain. However, that does
          not make sense. 1 Macc. 9: 50 claims Bacchides "built strong cities
          in Judea" including Bethel and Pharathon. All these locations seem
          to be along the northern border of Judea from Jericho in the east to
          Emmaus and Beth-horon in the west. The region suggested by Naaman was
          not in Judea at the time.

          The list of Davidic heroes (2 Sam 23: 24-39) names many places in
          Judea. Among them is Benaiah of Pirathon. If Pirathon is well to
          the north and/or west of Beitin, then this person is the only one
          from Samaria or the Mountain region of Ephraim. However, if Pirathon
          is near or on the northern border regionb of Judea, then he fits the
          pattern and all the names are from Judea and the southern regions.

          how difficult would it be to transform the name from Pirathon or
          Pharathon to Beitin? pirathon must be somewhere in the Beitin-Ophrah
          region.

          Frank Clancy

          > The article--which interacts with the issues on the level of
          biblical, archaeological, and topographical evidence--then goes on to
          argue for the following conclusions:

          > Ai ≠ et Tell
          > Bethel ≠ Beitin
          >
          > Bethel = el-Bira/Bireh
          > Ai = Khirbet el-Maqatir
          > Beth Aven = Beitin
          >
          > From here, I will let the article speak for itself. In the spirit
          of Niels Lemche, further interaction on this topic need not take
          place until the literature is read. As for the book itself, it is
          worth noting that the views and perspectives of the authors are quite
          wide-ranging and diverse.

          > With warm wishes,
          >
          > Doug Petrovich
          > Toronto

        • Frank Polak
          Message 4 of 4 , Jan 7, 2009
            Hi Folks,
            Five equations with ten unknowns,
            what is the meaning of any 'solution' in such context?
            Maximal Best for 2009,
            Frank Polak