Re: [ANE-2] Re: more on the ivory pomegranate

  • David Hall
    Message 1 of 22 , Dec 30, 2008
      From what I have read the inscription on the pomegranate was deepened or cleaned out with an iron tool.  Seems like a stupid error to alter or create an inscription on an antique item.  Remember people were able to look at Golan's pieces and declare they were ancient.  They were abraded, and chemically altered such as occured over time or under the right conditions created in a lab.  For a sum of money one may buy a witness to give a false opinion, the world is full of people with false ideas, some of them have degrees.  If the police had not caught Golan with forged relics and a forgery lab, the case would have been more difficult to solve.  People were right to oppose the self provlaimed experts, the false prophets of historical authenticity, even when the case led to very wealthy anitquities dealers and a magazine publisher trying to cover his statements.

      David Q. Hall
      dqhall59@...

      David Q. Hall

      --- On Tue, 12/30/08, arenmaeir <maeira@...> wrote:

      From: arenmaeir <maeira@...>
      Subject: [ANE-2] Re: more on the ivory pomegranate
      To: ANE-2@yahoogroups.com
      Date: Tuesday, December 30, 2008, 1:04 PM

      Ever think about the possibility that those who enabled the
      pomegranate to be "discovered" in Jerusalem did it so as to raise the
      price?

      Aren

      --- In ANE-2@yahoogroups. com, "lmlkes" <lmlkes@...> wrote:

      > Dr. Maeir, You are going at the story backwards. Like many things
      > written, such as there was a "ring of forgers," this is inaccurate.
      > The Ivory Pomegranate was discovered by Dr. Andre Lemaire in 1979
      in
      > a Jerusalem antiquities shop. It was already completed. Dr. Lemaire
      > published the Ivory Pomegranate. The patinae was already made and
      > according to him is ancient when You examine it under the
      microscope.
      > No one was working from a $550,000 pile of money. This amount was
      > paid years later by the Israel Museum in late spring of 1988, after
      > Dr. Nahman Avigad flew to Zurich and authenticated the Ivory
      > Pomegranate. I Thank You For Your Time.
      > With Much Gratitude,
      > Sincerely Yours,
      > Michael Welch
      > Deltona, Florida
      >
      > --- In ANE-2@yahoogroups. com, "arenmaeir" <maeira@> wrote:
      > >
      > > Jack,
      > > kein Problem...
      > >
      > > 1) Ivory is no problem - that can be found at excavations and in
      > > antiquity stores.
      > >
      > > 2) Patina - with $500,000 one could find someone who would know
      how
      > > to make patina - or better, don't make it - just claim that there
      > is.
      > >
      > > 3) Inscribe it? What's the problem? Get the proper materials (not
      > > modern) to make the incisions, and inscribe according to any
      > standard
      > > table of relevant letter forms.
      > >
      > > So - will you send the half million so I can start working on
      them?
      > > :-)
      > >
      > > Aren
      > >
      > > --- In ANE-2@yahoogroups. com, "Jack Kilmon" <jkilmon@> wrote:
      > > >
      > > > Where will you get the ivory? How will you tool it? How will
      > you
      > > patina
      > > > it? How will you inscribe it?
      > > >
      > > > Jack
      > > >
      > > > Jack Kilmon
      > > > San Antonio, TX

    • lmlkes
      Message 2 of 22 , Dec 30, 2008
        Dear Dr. Maeir, Sure, the hope of anybody selling their antiquities in
        Jerusalem is to make money. It sold for $3,000. I Wish You The Best Of
        Everything, and I Thank You For Your Time.

        Message 3 of 22 , Jan 1, 2009
          On behalf of the moderators,

          This line is from now closed. If people ask why, a view on this mornings
          many mails will tell you why.

          Time is now 0800 European Alpha time.

          Niels Peter Lemche
        • victor