'Ezer's Abecedary From Tel Zayit?

  • lmlkes
    Message 1 of 1 , Dec 27, 2008
      I just received a copy of Literate Culture and Tenth-Century Canaan:
      The Tel Zayit Abecedary in Context, edited by Dr. Ron E. Tappy and Dr.
      P. Kyle McCarter Jr.(Eisenbrauns 1998). Included in the book, there is
      a DVD with the same title containing pictures of the Tell, the Stone,
      the Abecedary, and Figures 22 and 23 which say this: "Fig. 22 Three
      letters above abecedary: '-z-r (B. Zuckerman and M. Lundberg). Fig. 23
      Three letters above abecedary: '-z-r (R.E. Tappy)." As far as I can
      tell none of the authors, Drs. Tappy, McCarter, Rollston, Sanders, or
      Carr, discuss these three letters. They are not in any of the hand
      drawings by Drs. McCarter and Rollston. Could this be, like ABY (Aleph
      Bet Yod or Abi) on the Gezer Calendar, the signature of the scribe who
      made the Tel Zayit Abecedary? We have 'ZR, Ayin Zayin Resh or 'Ezer.
      With Much Gratitude,
      Sincerely Yours,
      Michael Welch
      Deltona, Florida