Scientists Discover 6,000-Year-Old Stain

  • Marc Cooper
    Message 1 of 3 , Apr 1, 2006
      April,1 2006 | Issue 41•30

      HAFR AL-BATIN, SAUDI ARABIA—Textile archaeologists have unearthed a
      section of coarsely woven Sumerian goat's wool bearing what could be
      the world's oldest, and perhaps its toughest, stain. "The stain, in
      scientific terms, is 'ground-in,' doubtless one of the active-
      lifestyle stains that plagued Sumerian families," said Leigh Perkins,
      the leader of the Tulane University team that uncovered the stain. "We
      hope to determine whether it's mud, blood, or some kind of blueberry
      proto-pie." Scientists say they can learn a lot from the discovery,
      such as how tough the Sumerians were on grime.
    • Graham Hagens
      Message 2 of 3 , Apr 1, 2006
        Tel Asa Nathawan, Jordan:

        Analysis of the stain found at Hafr Al-Batin has now revealed that it
        contained DNA from a high status individual. The cloth, which originally
        had been blue, had been stored in a secure place for some inexplicable
        reason.

        HAFR AL-BATIN, SAUDI ARABIA—Textile archaeologists have unearthed a
        section of coarsely woven Sumerian goat's wool bearing what could be
        the world's oldest, and perhaps its toughest, stain. "The stain, in
        scientific terms, is 'ground-in,' doubtless one of the active-
        lifestyle stains that plagued Sumerian families," said Leigh Perkins,
        the leader of the Tulane University team that uncovered the stain. "We
        hope to determine whether it's mud, blood, or some kind of blueberry
        proto-pie." Scientists say they can learn a lot from the discovery,
        such as how tough the Sumerians were on grime.

      • Lampros F. Kallenos
        Message 3 of 3 , Apr 1, 2006
          As we wait for more information, and though not a textile expert,
          I'll nevertheless propose a different approach, which I think
          might prove to be crucial.

          So, I think it is vital to clarify on whether it is really this
          Sumerian wool that bears the stain, or if its really the stain
          that touched it and got stacked on it.

          I believe that when the jury comes back on this matter, this
          point of view will somehow prove to be very crucial for the final
          conclusion.

          Lampros F. Kallenos "...EKANAN OISTRO THS ZWHS
          Idalion, Lefkosia TO FOBO TOU QANATOU"
          Kypros