Re: Rosetta Stone???? Re: [ANE-2] Re: more on the ivory pomegranate

    Message 1 of 3 , Dec 21, 2008
      How does that answer the question? Who in 1799 was "discounting" any objects, provenanced or not? The town museum in Downpatrick, Ireland, has (well, had in 1992) a display case showing "cuneiform tablets" brought back by WWI soldiers in 1918: lumps of clay with some indentations on them that had been sold to the boys by the locals, none of whom (evidently including the present-day curator) had the slightest idea what a "cuneiform tablet" looks like.

      You  cannot make and sell a forgery unless you and your buyer have a pretty good idea of what the genuine article looks like.

      Are there known examples of forged papyri of Books of the Dead or of prisms containing Annals of Sennacherib?--
      Peter T. Daniels grammatim@...