Re: [ANE-2] India's Babylon connection

  • George F Somsel
    Message 1 of 8 , Dec 4, 2008
      A very simple matter.� All�you need to do is to go to Washington, DC, USA and visit the Library of Congress� :-)

      http://tinyurl.com/5k2n4y
      �george
      gfsomsel

      � search for truth, hear truth,
      defend the truth till death.

      - Jan Hus
      _________

      ________________________________
      Message 2 of 8 , Jan 9, 2009
        Further to this, Thomas McEvilley's study of the close connections
        between the emergence of Upanishadic and Greek philosophy during the
        Achaemenian period makes interesting reading. (The Shape of Ancient
        Thought, 2002). Babylon appears then to have been a melting pot of
        South Asian, Zoroastrian, Greek and Hebrew ideas - a point also made
        by Mary Boyce in her histories of Zoroastrianism.

        The Aryan deities referred to in the first post were of course a
        common feature of the various Indo-Aryan-Avestan cultures during the
        second millennium

        Graham Hagens

        --- In ANE-2@yahoogroups.com, "Trudy Kawami" <tkawami@...> wrote:

        > The comments cited are not controversial in that no scholar posits a
        > direct line from the (few Indo-European) Mittani to modern North
        India.
        > (And note that the writer has the Mittani ruling Babylon!) But such
        > facile linkages are popular with a fairly recent political movement
        in
        > India to connect all things Indo-European, Hindu/Vedic and even
        > Hararpan(!) in a sort of six-degrees-of-separation. While it may
        seem
        > harmlessly nutty, the flip side is not harmless.
        >

        > For those wishing to understand the Babylon-India connection in the
        > first millennium BCE I would suggest Dan Potts essay "DIFFERING
        MODES OF
        > CONTACT BETWEEN
        >
        > INDIA AND THE WEST: SOME ACHAEMENID AND SELEUCID EXAMPLES, in Ray,
        H.P.
        > & Potts, D.T., eds. Memory as History: The Legacy of Alexander in
        Asia.
        > New Delhi: Aryan Books International,2007, pp. 122-130.
        >
        > Trudy Kawami

        Behalf Of