SV: SV: Fw: Re: SV: SV: [ANE-2] Tardy response to a minor comment

    Message 1 of 26 , Dec 4, 2008
      I think the problem is that you believe in historical truth and use this as a criterion. The real problem when it comes to the ANE (if not we better find another list to discuss this) is that these people in their mythmaking included the ANE and formed their opinion of the ANE according to biblical beliefs. Biblical archaeology is a good (bad) example of this: Bible in one hand, spade in the other. The true mythmakers were modern people who turned the Bible into something which it is not, a history textbook. The idea of verbal inspiration is also pretty modern. You don't find it in the Bible itself.

      I suppose that a discussion about ancient mind would be appropriate also here, and ancient perceptions of history. And we should definitely pay attention to "the mythical mind" as opposed to the modern mind and not evaluate ancient intellectual products according to modern standards. Few Assyrians had read Kant!

      Putting up truth against lie is simply not a relevant comparison here.

      Niels Peter Lemche

      Message 2 of 26 , Dec 4, 2008
        Dear Niels Peter,
        "Ancient Mind" and "Mythical Mind" are out since Malinowski's forced
        stay at the Solomon's islands, I believe.
        And the "Modern Mind" is out since French Post-structuralism (not
        that I attach any value to Parisian
        musings, but those thinkers demonstrate most clearly that the
        difference between "Myth M" and "Modern M"
        is negligible at best).
        Best Regards,
        Frank Polak
      • Tory Thorpe
        Message 3 of 26 , Dec 4, 2008
          Dear Niels,

          > The true mythmakers were modern people who turned the Bible into
          > something which it is not, a history textbook. The idea of
          > verbal inspiration is also pretty modern. You don't find
          > it in the Bible itself.

          In one of Paul's letters in the Christian Bible we find: "All scripture is given by inspiration of God..." (2 Tim. iii 16). Since Paul was presumably refering to the Jewish Bible, the idea of "verbal inspiration" is at least as old as Paul, no?

          > I suppose that a discussion about ancient mind would be
          > appropriate also here, and ancient perceptions of history.
          > And we should definitely pay attention to "the mythical
          > mind" as opposed to the modern mind and not evaluate
          > ancient intellectual products according to modern standards.
          > Few Assyrians had read Kant!

          I'm enjoying your new book.

          Tory Thorpe
          Modi'in, IL
        • Christian Bogh
          Message 4 of 26 , Dec 4, 2008
            Niels Peter Lemche said:

            > Biblical archaeology is a good (bad) example of this: Bible in one hand,
            > spade in the other.

            Bible and Spade ! :)

            http://www.biblearchaeology.org/publications/bibleandspade.aspx

            best,
            Christian Bogh
            stud. teol
            Copenhagen, Uni. of

            Message 5 of 26 , Dec 4, 2008
              Dear Frank,

              Whatever you say, I have an article about it by Nick Wyatt in the next issue of SJOT, out very soon. So maybe it is not out after all.

              Niels Peter Lemche

              Message 6 of 26 , Dec 4, 2008
                Verbal inspiration or just inspired, as Luther would say?

                Niels Peter Lemche

                > The true mythmakers were modern people who turned the Bible into
                > something which it is not, a history textbook. The idea of
                > verbal inspiration is also pretty modern. You don't find
                > it in the Bible itself.

                In one of Paul's letters in the Christian Bible we find: "All scripture is given by inspiration of God..." (2 Tim. iii 16). Since Paul was presumably refering to the Jewish Bible, the idea of "verbal inspiration" is at least as old as Paul, no?

                > I suppose that a discussion about ancient mind would be
                > appropriate also here, and ancient perceptions of history.
                > And we should definitely pay attention to "the mythical
                > mind" as opposed to the modern mind and not evaluate
                > ancient intellectual products according to modern standards.
                > Few Assyrians had read Kant!

                I'm enjoying your new book.

                Tory Thorpe
                Modi'in, IL

                Message 7 of 26 , Dec 4, 2008
                  Hilarious. It must make Hershel Shanks of the BAR really unhappy.

                  Nels Peter Lemche

                  > Biblical archaeology is a good (bad) example of this: Bible in one hand,
                  > spade in the other.

                  Bible and Spade ! :)

                  http://www.biblearchaeology.org/publications/bibleandspade.aspx

                  best,
                  Christian Bogh
                  stud. teol
                  Copenhagen, Uni. of

                • Frank Polak
                  Message 8 of 26 , Dec 4, 2008
                    Dear Niels Peter;
                    It is OUT, and should be replaced by other categories.
                    Frank Polak

                    Message 9 of 26 , Dec 4, 2008
                      Have you discussed this with Wyatt?

                      Niels Peter Lemche

                      It is OUT, and should be replaced by other categories.
                      Frank Polak

                      On Dec 4, 2008, at 1:38 PM, Niels Peter Lemche wrote:

                      > Dear Frank,
                      >
                      > Whatever you say, I have an article about it by Nick Wyatt in the
                      > next issue of SJOT, out very soon. So maybe it is not out after all.
                      >
                      > Niels Peter Lemche

                    • Emanuel O. Pfoh
                      Message 10 of 26 , Dec 4, 2008
                        Dear Frank Polak,

                        I guess that any ethnographic report on the communities of natives which still--despite modernisation processes--livein Central and South America (lots of Umbanda temples here in Argentina), Africa and South-East Asia would tell you that the mythic mind is still alive. We even don't need to look for the so-called 'contemporary primitives' of old: any research on the symbolic worldview of pentecostalists or New Religious Movements would in fact detect the heart-beatings of the mythic mind.
                        We may call it differently, and we may re-define its nature and dynamic, but it's still the mythic mind.
                        Best regards,

                        Emanuel Pfoh

                        Message 11 of 26 , Dec 4, 2008
                          Dear Manu,

                          Maybe Frank was only asking for a better term: La pensée sauvage? (to honour a great man who turned 100 a few days ago [28th of Nov]). The ball is on Frank's part of the game just now, as I would like Frank to expand on this.

                          A pre-Kantian way of rationalizing.

                          Niels Peter Lemche

                          It is OUT, and should be replaced by other categories.

                          Frank Polak

                          On Dec 4, 2008, at 1:38 PM, Niels Peter Lemche wrote:

                          > Dear Frank,

                          > Whatever you say, I have an article about it by Nick Wyatt in the

                          > next issue of SJOT, out very soon. So maybe it is not out after all.

                          > Niels Peter Lemche

                        • Frank Polak
                          Message 12 of 26 , Dec 4, 2008
                            Dear Emanuel and Niels Peter,
                            In my view we have to distinguish between a symbolic world view (not
                            only pentecostical,
                            but also, for instance, marxistic) and a 'mythic mind.' After all,
                            did Malinowski
                            not show that people with a strong belief in magic and in spirits
                            were discussing matters
                            of procreation as rationally as he did (albeit not in a scientific,
                            biological way)? And were they not superior
                            ship engineers (at least for their state of metallurgy)? It is not
                            the mind (and not even the
                            episteme, I would say; Foucault mixed it up), but the world view. You
                            might say that that is a >mind set<,
                            but it is not the personal mind making things up, but rather the
                            intellectual tradition, as far as its contents have not been
                            subjected to systematic scientific criticism).
                            A notion like >La Pensee Sauvage< also seems difficult to defend.
                            Totemism, for instance (the 'mentality' of which is not too
                            different from that of football supporting), can easily be analyzed
                            in terms of ethno-symbolism.
                            One of the difficult (OK, I'll not to exaggerate, maybe significant)
                            stages in my growing up was the recognition
                            that the Marxian notion of a revolution that would set man free, is
                            hardly more than the ideal of classical Judaism
                            >LeTaQQeN (wLam BeMaLKuT $aDDaY<, (to repair the world in the
                            Kingdom of God). But the Marxian notion
                            claims 'scientific' status, using 'science' (at least at times) in a
                            sense that would rather fit the magic way of thought.
                            May I say that to my mind it takes inteliigence, determination and
                            much knowledge to maintain yourself in desert (something i used to
                            have some
                            acquaintance with) or jungle without modern technology and logistic
                            support?
                            Best regards,
                            Frank Polak

                            Message 13 of 26 , Dec 4, 2008
                              Who got the BAR review copy?

                              I looked over it at amazon -- over 500 pages, with very short essays on just about every relevant topic.  I look forward to reading it.

                              Message 14 of 26 , Dec 4, 2008
                                Dear Frank,

                                I agree with some of your comments. Malinowski showed (I guess it was in his Crime and custom in primitive society [1926]) that agency can in fact bend the structure, that is, that what natives used to say about their beliefs and social behaviour was not always corroborated by him (Malinowski). Yet, one thing is still relevant: why do these people have their myths? Why do they keep their rituals? I believe that it's in the practice, more than in myths, that the mythic mind is evidenced.
                                And it was M. Eliade in his Myth and Reality [1962] who made a comparison between Christian escatology and Marxist escatology, so here we may find another clue regarding the presence of mythic dynamics in modern ideologies.
                                Now, here we are dealing with two yet intertwined aspects of intellectual history: a) how the mythic mind was active in the ancient world (the ANE) and how can we know of this presence from the extant mythic text (no ethnographic research possible unfortunately); and b) how was the pre-mondern (mythic) worldview affected by the spread of the Enlightenment's principles of reality (Newton, Kant).

                                My stand is that, in order to understand how ANE people lived and what the believed, one must un-pack the modern, post-Enlightenment principles that rule our lives and get back to that ancient mythic mind that was part of the worldview of ancient people.
                                No doubt, the ancient Egyptians who planned and built the pyramids knew a lot about architecture, mathematics, etc., and they were most logical engineers. But at the end of the day the recalled that they were contributing to the eternal rest of their living god on earth, the pharaoh, and making sure that maat prevail over chaos.

                                Best regards,

                                Emanuel Pfoh

                              • Frank Polak
                                Message 15 of 26 , Dec 4, 2008
                                  Dear Emanuel,
                                  I see hat you are saying, but I also sense some difficulties. On the
                                  one hand, the light metaphor of
                                  Enlightenment itself entails a myth of knowledge. Kant's >synthesis a
                                  priori< was palatable only in
                                  a period in which the only axiom system was the Euclidean one, but in
                                  the nineteenth century its
                                  metaphysical nature (and thus its 'myth') became obvious with the
                                  advent of various non-Euclidean systems.
                                  And in Newton's thought physical theory is thoroughly framed by
                                  deistic theology.
                                  So to describe modern thought as non-mythical is, in my view. more
                                  than a bit misleading. Misleading ourselves that is.
                                  Just think of the thought power of men like Plato and Aristotle, and
                                  the residues of pure myth in their thought. They were
                                  eminently rational and scientific, but also thought in mythical terms.

                                  On the other hand, if one envisions a different mind when approaching
                                  antiquity, one immediately places the
                                  'ancients' in a position which is not ours. But this attitude
                                  actually precludes a better understanding of, e.g,
                                  Sumerians, Assyrians, Phoenicians, and other People/Societies/
                                  Communities/Cultures. We cannot get a step further
                                  as long as we do not understand that those PSCC, when viewed on their
                                  own terms, are as logical as we are in our terms.
                                  If there is place for relativism (which in itself should not be taken
                                  too serious), it is for self-relativization of the scholarly
                                  community. Their (with apologies for the collective) worldview is
                                  different from ours, but demands our respect, and our
                                  insight into the infinite differentiation (an insight which also is
                                  thwarted by the collectivity of the 'mythic mind').

                                  My insights on this point are not so much related to Carlo Ginzberg's
                                  'worms,' but rather to what I saw in a documentary
                                  movie about the cattle market in Northeast Holland, where a 'modern,
                                  urbane' trader could not negotiate with
                                  the local peasants (actually agricultural entrepreneurs of course),
                                  because he could not understand their way of
                                  bargaining by hand clash, and since they did not understand his
                                  procedures, they could not deal one with another.
                                  The local agricultural entrepreneurs have their own culture, which is
                                  not better understood by any appellation
                                  we might apply to them.
                                  By the same token they also have (or rather had) their own literary
                                  culture, in which the oral element is (or was, I fear) very importanrt,
                                  but which also had its sophistication.
                                  And think of the supreme sophistication of characterization and
                                  description of inner life in the Iliad (Achilles, Hector, Odysseus)
                                  and the Odyssea (Odysseus, Penelope, and their meeting; Telemachos),
                                  in any case in the centuries preceding Bacchyludes,
                                  and the great Attic dramaturgs and historians. The psychological
                                  insight of these poets, and the power of their imagination
                                  could never be covered by the notion of 'mythical mind.'
                                  There is something different going on. Let us follow Ranke: every
                                  PSCC is immediate to God (unmittelbar zu Gott).

                                  If we think of the period of Hammurabi, we have to think, not only of
                                  all kinds of mythucal thought patterns, but
                                  also on very clever and determined negotiation tactics vis-a-vis
                                  Zimrilim's envoys (I just had a paper on this subject
                                  in the Shalom Paul Jubilee Volume, Birkat Shalom, just out in Winona
                                  Lake). Rationality and sophistication
                                  are not incompatible with a mythic-magic worldview. Even if in our
                                  SCC such worldviews could not be held (and even
                                  though unbeknown to us we entertain similar views in our way).
                                  Best regards,
                                  Frank Polak

                                  On Dec 4, 2008, at 4:28 PM, Emanuel O. Pfoh wrote:

                                  > Dear Frank,
                                  >
                                  > I agree with some of your comments. Malinowski showed (I guess it
                                  > was in his Crime and custom in primitive society [1926]) that
                                  > agency can in fact bend the structure, that is, that what natives
                                  > used to say about their beliefs and social behaviour was not always
                                  > corroborated by him (Malinowski). Yet, one thing is still relevant:
                                  > why do these people have their myths? Why do they keep their
                                  > rituals? I believe that it's in the practice, more than in myths,
                                  > that the mythic mind is evidenced.
                                  > And it was M. Eliade in his Myth and Reality [1962] who made a
                                  > comparison between Christian escatology and Marxist escatology, so
                                  > here we may find another clue regarding the presence of mythic
                                  > dynamics in modern ideologies.
                                  > Now, here we are dealing with two yet intertwined aspects of
                                  > intellectual history: a) how the mythic mind was active in the
                                  > ancient world (the ANE) and how can we know of this presence from
                                  > the extant mythic text (no ethnographic research possible
                                  > unfortunately); and b) how was the pre-mondern (mythic) worldview
                                  > affected by the spread of the Enlightenment's principles of reality
                                  > (Newton, Kant).
                                  >
                                  > My stand is that, in order to understand how ANE people lived and
                                  > what the believed, one must un-pack the modern, post-Enlightenment
                                  > principles that rule our lives and get back to that ancient mythic
                                  > mind that was part of the worldview of ancient people.
                                  > No doubt, the ancient Egyptians who planned and built the pyramids
                                  > knew a lot about architecture, mathematics, etc., and they were
                                  > most logical engineers. But at the end of the day the recalled that
                                  > they were contributing to the eternal rest of their living god on
                                  > earth, the pharaoh, and making sure that maat prevail over chaos.
                                  >
                                  > Best regards,
                                  >
                                  > Emanuel Pfoh

                                • Emanuel O. Pfoh
                                  Message 16 of 26 , Dec 4, 2008
                                    Dear Frank,

                                    now I seem to be more in agreement with you on some points. "Rationality and sophistication are not incompatible with a mythic-magic worldview". Agreed, of course. And plenty of Mesopotamian (and Egyptian) evidence is proof of that, as you indicate.
                                    Yet, I think we must sharpen our analytical tools and concepts in order to avoid a sense that anything pre-18th cent. was submerged in a 'mythopoetic fog' (as someone criticised my views in another list--otherwise it's a cool name for a blog) but also without conceiving pre-modern people just as modern is short pants.
                                    I liked your reference to Carlo Ginzburg.
                                    Best regards,

                                    Emanuel Pfoh

> [...]

                                    > the extant mythic text (no ethnographic research possible

                                    > unfortunately) ; and b) how was the pre-mondern (mythic) worldview

                                    > affected by the spread of the Enlightenment' s principles of reality

                                    > (Newton, Kant).

                                    > My stand is that, in order to understand how ANE people lived and

                                    > what the believed, one must un-pack the modern, post-Enlightenment

                                    > principles that rule our lives and get back to that ancient mythic

                                    > mind that was part of the worldview of ancient people.

                                    > No doubt, the ancient Egyptians who planned and built the pyramids

                                    > knew a lot about architecture, mathematics, etc., and they were

                                    > most logical engineers. But at the end of the day the recalled that

                                    > they were contributing to the eternal rest of their living god on

                                    > earth, the pharaoh, and making sure that maat prevail over chaos.

                                  • Emanuel O. Pfoh
                                    Message 17 of 26 , Dec 4, 2008
                                      Frank,

                                      Sorry. I'm aware that your reference WASN'T to C. Ginzburg. I meant to say the tale of the bargaining peasant. Good anthropological insight.

                                      Emanuel Pfoh

                                    • David Hall
                                      Message 18 of 26 , Dec 4, 2008
                                        >In one of Paul's letters in the Christian Bible we find: "All scripture is given by inspiration of >God..." (2 Tim. iii 16). Since Paul was presumably refering to the Jewish Bible, the idea of >"verbal inspiration" is at least as old as Paul, no?

                                        Jeremiah wrote:

                                        "How can you say, "We are wise, for we have the law of the LORD," when actually the lying pen of the scribes has handled it falsely?"  (Jer. 8.8)

                                        Already Paul had recommended Gentiles seek God not through getting circumcised, an outward sign, but through repentance/reform an inward change.  He was accused of being lawless or an outlaw by some of the Orthodox.  Not sure what he meant by scripture.  Suppose it may have had a meaning such as non-fiction.  If he was going by the Torah he would have required the Gentiles be circumcised.  There were also instances of Jews of these times eating food that was not kosher and going to Gentile homes to teach in spite of the risk of being accused of not observing ritual purity.

                                        David Q. Hall
                                        dqhall59@...

                                        > The true mythmakers were modern people who turned the Bible into
                                        > something which it is not, a history textbook. The idea of
                                        > verbal inspiration is also pretty modern. You don't find
                                        > it in the Bible itself.

                                        In one of Paul's letters in the Christian Bible we find: "All scripture is given by inspiration of God..." (2 Tim. iii 16). Since Paul was presumably refering to the Jewish Bible, the idea of "verbal inspiration" is at least as old as Paul, no?

                                        > I suppose that a discussion about ancient mind would be
                                        > appropriate also here, and ancient perceptions of history.
                                        > And we should definitely pay attention to "the mythical
                                        > mind" as opposed to the modern mind and not evaluate
                                        > ancient intellectual products according to modern standards.
                                        > Few Assyrians had read Kant!

                                        I'm enjoying your new book.

                                        Tory Thorpe
                                        Modi'in, IL

                                      • Tory Thorpe
                                        Message 19 of 26 , Dec 4, 2008
                                          --- On Thu, 12/4/08, David Hall <dqhall59@...> wrote:

                                          > Already Paul had recommended Gentiles seek God not through
                                          > getting circumcised, an outward sign, but through
                                          > repentance/reform an inward change.  He was accused of
                                          > being lawless or an outlaw by some of the Orthodox.  Not
                                          > sure what he meant by scripture.  Suppose it may have had
                                          > a meaning such as non-fiction.  If he was going by
                                          > the Torah he would have required the Gentiles be
                                          > circumcised.

                                          He obviously meant what was then "the" canonical Jewish Bible of his day. His words in 2 Tim. iii 16 reflect the thinking of many religious Jews of that time, namely that the Jewish Bible is a verbally inspired text - and a historical text from which history may be mined and reconstructed (cf. Seder Olam Rabbah). This is not a modern concept invented by Christian fundamentalists or Albright. Your last sentence is a little weird. One of Paul's problems within Jewish circles was the accusation of teaching Jews, not Gentiles, not to be circumcised. I can't see how that has any real relation to the view, and Paul's view (a shared myth), that the Jewish scriptures are inspired and formed the basis of the religious Jewish worldview at the time 2 Tim. iii 16 was penned.

                                          Tory Thorpe
                                        • Frank Polak
                                          Message 20 of 26 , Dec 5, 2008
                                            Dear Emanuel,
                                            So we agree: each according to his own, with no pre-classification.
                                            Best,
                                            Frank
                                          • Cami McCraw
                                            Message 21 of 26 , Jul 6, 2009
                                              You mention David Rohl's work in the thread below. It took two years but his special TV program 'Pharaohs & Kings' was re-released last September on DVD.
                                              http://stretchproductions.com/RohlProducts.html
                                              -Cami McCraw

                                              --- In ANE-2@yahoogroups.com, "Christian Bogh" <packedmaniac@...> wrote:

> [...]
                                              > > >
                                              > > > If you read the works of David Rohl, fluent in the ancient
                                              > > > Egyptian language and capable of page layout with photos and
                                              > > > maps, eventually you might suspect the guy had trusted too much in the
                                              > > text
                                              > > > of the Biblical works if you do not recognize it immediately. At one
                                              > > point
                                              > > > he indicated that Joshua was Labayu of the Amarna tablets and that the
                                              > > > existing published chronologies were wrong. He moved dates at will to try
                                              > > > to fit his theories into his book. He was not able to eliminate the
                                              > > > contradictions between the destruction of Hazor and the destruction of
                                              > > > Jericho not to mention numerous other apparent contradictions.
                                              > > >
                                              > > > Some of the theories of archaeologists in the 1960's cannot be easily
                                              > > > negated. People have moved datelines to the left or right yet usually
                                              > > > within a hundred years, although sometimes wanting to move them further
                                              > > like
                                              > > > 150 years. Some new pottery classifications were described such
                                              > > > as Intermediate EB-MB based on a few unique finds.
                                              > > >
                                              > > > An archaeologist working on one site described a certain style of glass
                                              > > > perfume bottle such as was left in tombs after the anointing of the dead
                                              > > for
                                              > > > burial as 150-300 A.D. at Pella whereas someone working in Jerusalem
                                              > > > described the style of perfume bottle with the flared rim as first
                                              > > century
                                              > > > C.E. Neither one did fraud, yet there are limits to one's ability to
                                              > > > discern based on one's experience.
                                              > > >
                                              > > > I suppose the extreme minimist position would claim the Bible is 100%
                                              > > > false, and the extreme maximist would claim that it is 100% true, the
                                              > > > inspired word of God. It was also writted in the Bible that God desired
                                              > > > mercy and not sacrifice after the altars of Israel had been drenched with
                                              > > > the blood of sacrifices for a long time. Did God change or was it the
                                              > > > writters' words about God that differed?
                                              > > >
                                              > > > To be able to recognize a contradiction is useful. To find the truth of
                                              > > > the matter is wiser.
                                              > > >
                                              > > > Sincerely:
                                              > > >
                                              > > > David Q. Hall
                                              > > > dqhall59@yahoo. com <dqhall59%40yahoo. com>
                                              > > >

                                              > > > --- On Sun, 11/30/08, Niels Peter Lemche <npl@... <npl%40teol.ku>.
                                              > > dk<npl%40teol. ku.dk>>
                                              > > > wrote:
                                              > > >
                                              > > > From: Niels Peter Lemche <npl@... <npl%40teol.ku>. dk <npl%40teol.
                                              > > ku.dk>>
                                              > > > Subject: SV: SV: [ANE-2] Tardy response to a minor comment
                                              > > > To: ANE-2@yahoogroups. com <ANE-2%40yahoogroup s.com>
                                              > > > Date: Sunday, November 30, 2008, 1:08 PM
                                              > > >
                                              > > > Dear David,
                                              > > >
                                              > > > You should not be afraid of the extremes. I follow old Hegel here, that
                                              > > > thesis and antithesis produce a new synthesis, etc etc. So if we have
                                              > > > something from both sides, the synthesis might be somewhere between.
                                              > > >
                                              > > > To stay on safe ground means to move little or nothing (had a discussion
                                              > > > with Na'aman last Thuesday in Boston about this. We were absolutely in

                                            • David Hall
                                              Message 22 of 26 , Jul 10, 2009
                                                David Rohl published some content of interest to a few people, yet his claiming Joshua was Labayu of the Amarna letters was not widely accepted.  It is easier to match Shishak with Shoshenq than Labayu with Yahshua (Joshua).  His attempts to shift chronologies to prove parts of the Bible were insufficient.

                                                At Jericho there were only two tombs from the LBAI period found.  Most of the tombs were from the MBII.  Both the Garstang and Kenyon expeditions excavated tombs in areas west of the town ruins.  The widest extent of the occupation of Jericho was during the MBII and its destruction was placed close to the end of the MBII.  During this phase there were numerous destructions in southern Israel sometimes associated with the the defeat of the Hyksos and resurgence of native Egyptian power.  There was evidence of slight occupation during the LBAI in Jericho that may have ended close to 1400-1375.  Kenyon noted that Jericho was not a walled city during the time of its last (LBA) occupation.  The existence of partial ruined walls did not constitute a walled city.  Rohl did not explain the situation at Gibeon either.  Gibeon could not have been a royal city as described as in the book of Joshua until the Iron Age when it was a royal
                                                city of Israel.  There was no LBA occupation of the acropolis and no evidence of an LBA city on Gibeon hill.  An agricultural estate may have existed in the area during the LBA and remained hidden from surveyors.  The archaeological record contradicts the book of Joshua.

                                                There are yet groups who will put out anyone who does not confess "inerrancy of the scriptures."  As for Genesis; you might find some historical coincidence such as Hapiru people from Canaan were serving as slaves/low caste servants in Egypt making bricks for the upper classes during the times of Tuthmosis III or later.  One ought not put too much trust in the book of Genesis for the geological records can never confirm a flood to the top of Ararat in the past 10,000 years, nor will one find Exodus proven true, even if a few of the ancestors of Israel left Egypt for Canaan.  One might actually find oneself further from the truth by trusting Genesis and ignoring archaeological and scientific evidence.

                                                David Q. Hall