Re: [ANE-2] ASOR Sessions http://ochesnut.wordpress.com

  • Beatrice Hopkinson
    Message 1 of 4 , Dec 3, 2008
      Owen,

      Thanks for sharing your blog on the ASOR presentations. I am
      particularly interested in the fabrication and function of pottery and
      notice you differentiate between a cooking pot versus a bowl, and
      wondered what your parameters were for this definition.

      Beatrice Hopkinson

      Board Member, American Institute of Archaeology
      Affilliate, Cotsen institute of Archaeology, UCLA
      Hon. Secretary Los Angeles Branch, Oxford University Society
      President, Droitwich Brine Springs and Archaeological Trust, UK

      chesnut@...

      >If anyone is interested on my blog (ochesnut.wordpress.com
      ><http://ochesnut.wordpress.com> ) over the last week I've posted on
      >several papers from the annual meetings (Bethsaida and Jerusalem
      >excavations). I have a few more to write up, which I hope to get to
      >over the next week (its been slow with papers and exams to grade).
      >
      >Owen Chesnut
      >Ph.D. Candidate
      > Andrews University

    • theodc25
      Message 2 of 4 , Dec 3, 2008
        Beatrice Hopkinson wrote:
        I am
        > particularly interested in the fabrication and function of pottery
        and notice you differentiate between a cooking pot versus a bowl, and
        > wondered what your parameters were for this definition.

        I would say that there isn't any overarching statement that can be
        made on the difference between the two, at least in terms of form. In
        most cases the ware will be different with bowls being more finely
        levigated and cooking pots having larger inclusions, but this is not
        always the case. In some instances bowls are decorated and pots not
        (but not always), and sometimes pots have handles and bowls do not
        (but not always and then we have to throw kraters into the equation).

        In "Ancient Pottery of Transjordan" by Hendrix, Drey, and Storjfell,
        they would label a bowl as "any vessel the opening of which is 50% or
        more of its maximum diameter, no matter the function..." and then the
        more detailed name is based on function (or rather supposed function).
        Overall, this is a difficult question and I think one would have to
        take it on a period by period basis. I would love to hear your
        opinion, as well.

        Owen Chesnut
        Ph.D. Candidate
        Andrews University
      • Rolf Furuli
        Message 3 of 4 , Dec 4, 2008
          Dear list-members,

          In an astronomical tablet from Achaemenid times the position of the
          moon is described this way:

          ina KI 4 AM3 ar2 $a2 PA

          Translations of these signs that I have seen are rather puzzling to
          me. So I ask for your analysis and your translation of the signs.

          The sign PA evidently is an abbreviation for PA-BIL (=the
          constellation Saggittarius). The sign ar2 is a common abbreviation
          for warkat, but related forms cannot be excluded. The first sign ina
          evidently means "in"; the moon was "in" KI 4 AM3 ar2 $a2 PA.

          Best regards,

          Rolf Furuli Ph.D
          University of Oslo
        • Rolf Furuli