Seminars on fieldwork in Egypt at Columbia

  • Robert Whiting
    Message 1 of 1 , Mar 31, 2006
      From Jack Sasson via the agade list:

      >From Carola Garcia Manzano <cm2418@...>:
      =====================================
      To: "many recipients"
      Subject: Seminars on fieldwork

      Department of Classics

      We will again this year have a series of Wednesday noon seminars to
      present the results of our fieldwork in Egypt. These will begin at
      12:10, last for 50-60 minutes, and be followed by a light lunch for
      those who can stay.
      Location: 617B Hamilton Hall

      The schedule is as follows:
      April 12, Nicola Aravecchia (University of Minnesota): Excavations
      at Ain el-Gedida
      Ain el-Gedida is a fourth-century site in the Dakhla Oasis, not
      far from Kellis, where the Egyptian antiquities service excavated in
      the early 1990s. This year a small group from our field team collaborated
      with our Egyptian colleagues on recording the site and extending the
      excavations. An early church was among the major finds.

      April 19, Roger Bagnall: The 2006 season at Amheida
      This talk will give an overview of the areas of the site on which
      excavation and conservation work was carried out this year.

      April 26, Anna Boozer: The House that Kept on Giving
      More modest than the late Roman villa with the paintings, but
      rich in small finds and information, this house in the north part
      of the site was finished this year.

      May 3, Raffaella Cribiore and David Ratzan: Poetry on the Walls
      Elegiac couplets exhorting the young to practice rhetoric in
      verse, in red paint. A unique discovery.