Golan trial

  • Joseph I. Lauer
    Message 1 of 15 , Nov 2, 2008
      David Q. Hall wrote that the Ha'aretz article ("The art of authentic
      forgery" by Nadav Shragai) was "updated August 23, 2008".
      However, the article at http://www.haaretz.com/hasen/spages/974483.html
      notes "Last update - 23:08 14/04/2008", that is, at 11:08 p.m. on April 14,
      2008.
      Joseph I. Lauer
      Brooklyn, New York
    • Jack Kilmon
      Message 2 of 15 , Nov 2, 2008
        Message 3 of 15 , Nov 2, 2008
          Joe, it's simple. No good science...no believable authentication or
          inauthentication can ever take place in a whirling maelstrom of hucksters
          and hustlers, religious, political and scholarly agendas or journalistic
          quests for publication dollars. This artifact, if genuine, will mean
          nothing now. If "jimmied" will still mean nothing. They need to take the
          durn thing and put it on the warehouse shelf and take the vast amount of
          money being spent and give it to the various dig directors who need help.

          Jack

          Jack Kilmon
          San Antonio, TX

          Message 4 of 15 , Nov 2, 2008
            The Jerusalem Post Online Edition has just released an article headlined
            "Justice Ministry to decide on 'Jesus ossuary'". It begins: "The Justice
            Ministry has been given six months to decide how to proceed in the trial of
            an antiquities dealer suspected of forging a purported reference to Jesus on
            an ancient burial box and a stone tablet with biblical passages. Both items
            were hailed as major archaeological finds but subsequently deemed clever
            forgeries. The ministry has been forced to reevaluate the case after the
            Jerusalem District Court judge in the case advised the prosecution to
            reassess its position in the three-year-old trial because it failed to prove
            that the key suspect, Tel Aviv antiquities collector Oded Golan, had indeed
            faked the biblical-era artifacts."
            The article may be read at
            http://www.jpost.com/servlet/Satellite?cid=1225199631832&pagename=JPost/JPArticle/ShowFull
            or
            http://www.jpost.com/servlet/Satellite?pagename=JPost/JPArticle/ShowFull&cid=1225199631832
            Joseph I. Lauer
            Brooklyn, New York

            Moderator's note: it is helpful to simplify complex URLs with TinyURL. The web site is:

            <http://tinyurl.com>

            MC