Qeiyafa inscription 'ALT`S and ShPT.

  • Brian Colless
    Message 1 of 21 , Nov 2, 2008
      Victor
      That is exactly why I was careful to say "a new version"

      And now the discussion has started raging over lo' (thou shalt not)
      and 'al (which I had thought implied Please do not or Kindly refrain
      from in classical usage).

      I will respond to Yitzhak Sapir tomorrow.

      Brian
      1.33 am on Monday 3rd of Novemeber, I think; my luakh says 5 Kheshvan
      5769

    • Andrés Piquer Otero
      Message 2 of 21 , Nov 2, 2008
        Personally I would reconsider the traditional clause-level theories from
        a discourse analysis perspective: the two instances of the Decalogues
        could be analyzed not as Hortative Discourse (command-driven) but as
        Predictive Discourse (rendering of prospective-future events). That
        would fit with a 2-mode division (indicative vs. injunctive) akin to
        proposals applied to the PC in Ugaritic. The Decalogues are not a piece
        of "injunctive" discourse, but a text in the "indicative mode". Thus,
        interpretation of lo' + "imperfect" as a categorical demand vs. the
        default negative command with 'al + jussive is to be contextualized in
        the form and function of the whole text. These two particular instances
        of juridical-function discourse use indicative (predictive discourse),
        as opposed to injunctive. Perhaps that's indeed connected to the
        "categorical" force of legal language (as attested in the tense use in
        multiple languages, old and modern), but it is created by the context
        usage in a text-type, not by the existence of yet another category of
        single-sentence construction (we already see enough of those in
        classical Hebrew grammars). In the Decalogues, it is remarkable that the
        few positive commands are problematic: kabbed supports an infinitive
        reading besides the imp. one and zakor is vocalized as infinitive, so
        also in the positive commands the imperative form (injunctive mode)
        could be missing. Further research could focus on this context-based
        line in other instances of legal texts presented from injuctive vs.
        indicative modes.

        Andrés Piquer Otero

        Niels Peter Lemche wrote:

        > Hm, are we not back to the old division in biblical Hebrew between lo'
        > & imperfect and 'al & jussiv? More to it than that? Modern Hebrew
        > usage is probably of no consequence here.
        >
        > Back to old Alt (need a smiley here): lo' & imperfect a categorical
        > demand, "thou shall not etc", 'al & jussiv less categorical: "Please,
        > do not ..." I know that I am back in the Jurasic Park of biblical
        > scholarship.
        >
        > Niels Peter Lemche
        >
        > -----

      • Ariel L. Szczupak
        Message 3 of 21 , Nov 2, 2008
          At 02:10 PM 11/2/2008, victor wrote:

          >I must take issue with Ariel’s comment here about the Israeli
          >school system and the average Israeli’s knowledge of Hebrew.

          I was referring to the (tiny) knowledge of the Bible and of Biblical
          Hebrew. But the decalogue is a memorable piece of literature, partly
          because of its phrasing. Most Israelis would know, remember, that the
          bible says "lo tirtsah" (and not "al tirtsah") - that's my impression
          and personal experience. Maybe I'm wrong and they wouldn't know even that :(

          Ariel.

          ---
          Ariel L. Szczupak
          AMIS-JLM (Ricercar Ltd.)
          POB 4707, Jerusalem, Israel 91406
          Phone: +972-2-5619660 Fax: +972-2-5634203
          ane.als@...
          ---
          http://yvetteszczupakthomas.blogspot.com/
          http://undiamantbrut.blogspot.com/